View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Does anyone have any experience putting in a cement ramp? 

Post Re: Does anyone have any experience putting in a cement ramp
Coy is currently dependent on his walker. (Next week he may be walking independently again. Strange disease.) I'm getting a lot of experience getting him up and down the few steps to the garage and I can hardly wait until we can open the front door and wheel right out.

What is holding me up right now is that his case manager says there may be some money in his budget for this kind of home improvement. She is coming out to do his semi-annual needs assessment in two weeks. I'm going to do this with or without financial help, but I might as well wait and see on that.

(I'm sure my neighbors would be hoping we get some financial help for it, if they knew, because that means I can spend my money on some badly needed landscaping items. That just hasn't been high on my priority list lately, but I hate to bring values down in the neighborhood!)

Your nice looking walk gives me lots of hope, Pat.

Sat May 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Jeanne, I would love to see a picture of what you decide to do. You can always email to me. Wish there was a way to share pics on the forum for such items as this.
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sat May 26, 2012 11:14 pm

You can share photos on the forum. Look at the ones under a couple of the artists' areas in the area for non-LBD postings. Lynn

Sun May 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks, Lynn. I will try that.
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sun May 27, 2012 10:06 pm

I got the first estimate on my ramp project today. It will be about $3000. The stamping and shading option is the least snow-shovel friendly but very attractive. It can be done with minimual texturing which reduces the shovel problem and, probably, also reduces the eye appeal. Exposed aggregate is another option. This guy had a couple of ideas for drainage, but thought it wasn't much of an issue. He does about 2 or 3 cement ramps a year, but demand is growing.

I'm getting another estimate tomorrow.

The Elderly Waiver program does pay for substantial home improvement projects, but you must use their approved vendors. The vendor they sent out does only modular steel ramps, and they don't have a vendor that does cement ramps. Oh well. That vendor agreed that cement is best. His modular units are next, in his mind, and wooden walkways are attractive but can become slippery and need the most maintenance.

I can't wait to get this show on the road! Helping Coy in and out of the house is a chore! And he can't seem to grasp that since he is not wheel-chair bound or totally dependent on a walker that he could walk a few feet unaided until he gets over the threshold and down a step. He walks independently in the house a lot. But once he gets behind that walker he's not giving it up until he is in the car! Sigh.

I'll have a solution soon ...

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Jeanne....I have another suggestion to add to assistance. We didn't have to put in a ramp because there were no steps to the house, but there is the threshold which is a problem for Norris to step over. I went to HomeDepot and got several metal door handles in the hardware section. They are about 8 inches long, we put one on each side of each exterior door frame about 4 feet from the floor. This enables him to grab a handle and step over the threshold going in and/or out, and if he "trips" a little then he is holding on to something secure and can get his balance without falling. Carol

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Carol, great idea! I am going to do that here at home for John. Thanks!

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:37 pm

We should start developing an "aids" list.......there are alot of things that we have each found that help and would be of help. Another, is a bed rail that fits under the mattress, which helps him in and out of bed, I still have to help but it is a savior...Carol

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:47 pm

I will try to send before and after pictures to help anyone who is thinking of putting in a ramp.
Well, I tried and the picture files are too big. So if anyone wants to see the before and after pictures of my ramp, I will post them on my facebook page, "Treasures in the Darkness by Pat Snyder", or I can email directly to you if you email me your address.
Now I need to go run and post these on FB. So give me time to do that if you come on soon after this post.
Pat

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:56 pm

I now have 3 estimates for my walkway. They are within a couple hundred dollars of each other, with the lowest from a man who is trying to get his own company established after working for a cement contractor. Now I'll check them all out as best I can, decide what finish I want, and place an order -- I hope before we leave for vacation on Saturday. It may be August before we actually have it, but I'm getting excited!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Carol, do you take the bed rail off once he is in bed? Or can you leave it in without any fear he'll try to get out of bed and fall over it?

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Ramp pictures are already on FB page. Scroll to the bottom of the photo and you will see before and after shots.
I still need to add the before shots of the bathroom, though.
Pat

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Jeanne....do a google search for the Drive Home Bed Assist Handle. They are about 15" wide, and have a bar that slides between the mattress and the box springs, and have adjustable legs. I do not remove it, we put it about 12" from the head of the bed so he uses it to get in and out of the bed. They have all types of bed rails, but I liked this one because it had legs that supported it and gives him a firm support to get up and down.

Now if I could just find something to "assist" in the removal of all of the Parkinsons people that live in our house 24/7 (he calls them that because they showed up before we even had heard of Lewys). And this afternoon we had to go take a drive because he insisted that I take him home.....this cognitive decline is so much worse than the years of just the movement disorder of Parkinsons. Carol

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Ah, I see what you mean, Carol. Very clever. Coy is able to get in and out of bed on his own, more or less, but as that becomes more of an issue I'll keep this in mind. I like the idea of legs to the floor as well as under the mattress. Thanks for sharing.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Pat - you're welcome for the directions for photo posting I sent you as a response to your PM. Would you like directions for resizing photos? It may be simpler than you imagine (I am NOT a techie at all and once someone gave me a simple way to resize photos it has revolutionized my life! LOL) Lynn

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:10 am

PS - Nice photos on FB Pat!

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next