View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Mother Stopped Walking 

Post Mother Stopped Walking
I'll start my first post here by writing my mother is 93, and was diagnosed with LBD at the age of 90. About 2 months ago, she just stopped walking. Previously, she had begun to stumble at times, saying she was not able to stand, and then would just go down - not fall really - but just go down so she'd be resting on the floor. It was hard to pick her up myself - dead weight - so I'd get a neighbor to help out. However, she could still walk up and down stairs, with my help, get into the car and get out and about with me. I wish she would walk again, but I don't think it will happen. Now, all she seems able to do is stand for about a half-minute or so, with a lot of help from me, and then it's back to bed. She sleeps, or rests, usually most of the day, outside of eating - thank God, she still has her appetite and loves her ice cream! I'm curious to know if any of you have a relative who was able to walk again after not doing so for a long period of time. Thank you for any and all responses.
Patricia

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:06 am

Post Re: Mother Stopped Walking
Sorry you've had to join the group but welcome.

I don't know anyone who has re-started walking after not doing so for a couple of months. I assume the leg muscles start to atrophy quickly if not used.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:56 am

Hi Patricia - it doesn't sound very likely to me either that she will be able to walk again. If she is sleeping most of the day and not eating much, it sounds like a hospice evaluation might be in order. Have you contacted them and gotten a referral from her dr.?
If she "passes" hospice, it is assumed (but of course nothing is definite) that she has 6 months or fewer. As Robin said, she could go on for months or years in such a state. Hopefully her suffering won't drag out.
Keep us posted and come back for support. Lynn

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:14 am

Thank you both for you quick replies and concern. I've been a frequent visitor to this Association and the Forum since my mother became ill 3 years ago, but never posted before in the Forum. I find it so helpful, it's my therapy. My mother does have a good appetite and I did have a doctor come, from Visiting Nurse Services. She determined my mother is not yet ready for Hospice. At times I know I am in denial, but I am getting better at "accepting the things you cannot change", as the prayer goes, much as I wish I could change things. I'm sure we all feel that way. Although she cannot walk anymore, my mother can still, at times, make me laugh out loud, and I can do the same for her, and I guess that's not too bad. Thanks again. I really appreciate the support.
Patricia

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:28 am

It's so nice that you two can laugh together sometimes! I hope you have lots more laughs in the coming days, Lynn

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:38 am

I hope so, too, Lynn. It's what I try to focus on when the bad days (moments/hours/mornings/nights) come. The fact that you took the time to reply, even though your father has passed away, says a lot about you as a person. Thank you.
Patricia

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:04 pm

You're welcome. I hope that I can bring some helpful insights into what people are going through during this very tough time. It was very helpful to me when I first joined the forum to have people giving me all sorts of information, advice and support. I wish I'd followed some of the advice more, like moving my dad closer to me when it was still practical to do so, but that's water over the dam now! Anyway, wishing you the best. Lynn

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:32 pm

Patricia, I'm glad you are joining us here, and very sorry for what inspired you to post. I am so glad that you can still enjoy good moments with your mother. Hang on to those!

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi Patricia. Those times of sharing a laugh are the best, aren't they? Sorry for your mom's decline, but here's to many more joyous times for you two to share.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]