View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What did/do you need to know as Early Stage LBD Caregiver? 

Post Re: What did/do you need to know as Early Stage LBD Caregive
Pat, the special pillow that worked for me for Ted in bed was just the half-roll memory foam sort of pillow. It was a favorite of his, especially since his head pushes forward due to the disease. It's a smaller and more easily managed size for us.

As for the chair pillow, actually a friend made a small square pillow that I put on his left side, usually under his elbow. It was small enough that we use it in the car on the drink console area between the seats. His lean to that side is so bad at times, I sometimes use the pillow to also soften the space between the armrest and his side.

You're making me remember that, when we go out to eat, I remember to sit on his "bad" lean side. I use my shoulder to help hold him up. Or, I sometimes end up using coats and my purse underneath his elbow to keep him straighter (especially when I get tired of using my shoulder). Funny thing sometimes is to remember not to get yourself "stuck" on their bad side. If he gets too stiff, then I've literally had strangers come pull him up so I can get out of the booth (or you just crawl under as gracefully as your dignity allows, lol). Make sure you dine with friends who can help, or just don't get a booth is another option.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks, Jean. That is a funny picture in my mind of you crawling under the table to get free. We may as well laugh every chance we get, huh? Oh the things we do for the men we love!!

John is really getting into the lean more and more, poor fella.

Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:03 pm

Hey, we've had a few ups and downs (as usual), but had a pretty good time this past weekend. I'll take the good moments/times at every chance. When I came to pick up Ted today, there was a bean bag on his bed (!?!). I thought the nursing staff had put it there, but they said no. Apparently, Ted's old friend Dave had visited just before me. Ted said that it wasn't his pillow, that it belonged to a "different Dave" - (ah well, Capgras probably strikes again). BUT, while I was looking at it, what a novel and perhaps clever idea to share--Ted can lean on it with more support than a regular pillow and it conforms to the body a little better. Especially useful since he tends to end up lying sideways on his bed at times. Just sharing the thought if anyone else might want to try it--cheap enough to check out and might help somehow. I was actually quite comfortable myself using it today.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Jean, the bean bag is a great idea! Wonder if I can find a really small one for John to use in his recliner?
Thanks!
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2