View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Non-emergency transportation 

Post Non-emergency transportation
Hi all.
We are unable to safely get Mom out of our nonaccessible house to go to doctor. I am looking into getting a doctor who makes house calls, have names from friends of a few, but haven't heard back from them (making me think they may not be taking new patients, but who knows?). So I'm trying to arrange for transportation for Mom for an appointment with her primary care doctor on Friday. She has taken a nose dive the last 3 weeks and really needs to see someone. We couldn't make it to our appointment last week. Anyone know what I need to do to increase the odds of Medicare and secondary insurance picking up the tab? Thanks.

Tue May 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Post Re: Non-emergency transportation
I doubt very much that either Medicare or a private insurance would pay for non-emergency transportation. Most communities do have senior transportation on a sliding scale pay system. Also many public transportation systems have w/c lifts. However, it sounds as if you need someone to come into the house and actually carry her down some stairs? Your local Area Agency on Aging might have some answers.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue May 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Post Re: Non-emergency transportation
Thanks, Pat. The options they gave didn't pan out, but it spurred me to think of some other options, such as portable ramp and van rental, which may work out. We don't have a lot of steps (just one down to the front porch, then 2 down from porch to sidewalk and front yard), and really, strong guys probably could do it, but I don't want to be responsible for my nephews' knees or backs getting hurt. And I know Mom wouldn't either.
So thanks for mentioning the agency on aging. Obvious, but didn't come to my mind. Glad it did to yours.

By the way, I learned it is possible that Medicare will pay if the doc says she needs the transportation or her health will be in jeopardy (and that would be true if she doesn't get seen, I believe), but if we can work it out to take her ourselves, that's less traumatic than a private ambulance (although Mom hasn't minded the paramedics helping her a couple of times in the last few months when we needed help getting her off floor). And I don't want to have to fight anybody for any money. (especially if I lose!)

Tue May 15, 2012 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]