View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Financial considerations from moment of diagnosis 

Post Re: Financial considerations from moment of diagnosis
Just a note that, here, Mom was able to get Medicaid at $3000.00. We're spend down way below that, now, but that was the line identified by her social worker. And he said that I should start the application earlier than that, as it take a long time to go through. We waited for 6 months. Mom's benefits were reciprocal to the date she entered the SNF.

Kate

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:37 pm

finally….
well….not finally…. :lol:

another piece of the puzzle….
I guess the final piece will be when someone pays for me donating….

I lost the house yesterday…..
I 'sold' the house yesterday….
at a 55% loss…

what a different world….that just a few short years ago….

so….I have a RV I live in now…..that I could only sell for a loss….

look out VA….you are 'next' on this list…..and I have a lot less clutter to get in my way…..

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:06 pm

Just remember, Craig--you're not homeless, you are now a 'full-timer'! ;-) Wishing you well.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss of your house, Craig. Definitely see how the VA can help.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Misery loves company, Craig. I'm trying to sell my house at half what it was worth 5 years ago. I thought I had a nice equity cushion, but at what I can ask now, we're talking short sale and it would almost be a relief if I could get the bank to just take it - despite the credit hit. Lewy is not a cheap date! (Wish I'd sold it 5 years ago but Mom lived with me and she loved the place and her gardens.)

Kate

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:36 pm

BTW, Craig...if you're planning on attending any SKP rallies in the west, let me know. I'd like to meet you!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Kate….make sure you understand the impact from a short sale….in your state…..due to state laws about defieciencies…..
Understand the difference between purchase money and any refinancing…….what was original purchase money and what is not…..
as this will affect if debt forgiveness act of 2007 applies or not…..

Federal Tax impact ?
or
Bankruptcy?

there are alot of issues…..all individual…..

(and if you talk to BK attorney……he has a hammer….and BK is the nail)
but…..it is not always the answer……
But…..sometimes it is……but, then again….sometimes it is just not time for a BK….not yet…..

but, for some……BK now is the answer…..
for other…..BK never……

Judgement Proof……sometimes is the answer……

Kate……so sorry about the house value…….I do understand…..
do your homework before you do anything

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:27 am

Robin….

thanks…..

yes….the VA has at least one service connected disability to take care of…..a small one……but…..nowadays…..small is sometimes a big deal……

but, then…..Aid and Attendance needs to be primed…….

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:30 am

Pat…..

I sure would like to go all the way to west coast on the road again…..
there is a list of people on my list to visit with on the west coast……and we can add you to the list….

But, I don't see how even I can pull that one off…..

But, lets just say……its on my list…..

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:34 am

Thanks, Craig. Rest assured that I have a lot of the right kind of help. It's nice how, once you are willing to admit you have a problem like this, friends with the right kind of expertise are willing and able to help.

Kate

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:16 am

I am quite new to the forum and this is the first time I have clicked on this subject. It is certainly one I need information on. My husband is a veteran and it was during a war. He has been diagnosed with LBD and is 78 years old. We have very little cash reserves and I am certainly worried about his care as time goes on. Could someone explain the VA AA to me? I am going to the naela website to find an elder attorney after I post this. Thanks for your help and for being there.

Wed May 09, 2012 8:52 pm

SusieG,
Did you do a search of past posts on the topic of "Aid & Attendance"? Seems like both AnnieN and raffcons posted about this quite a bit in the past.
Robin

Wed May 09, 2012 10:12 pm

Is there anyone there that is in the same financial situation that I am? The past few days have convinced me that I am not going to be able to keep Bernie at home much longer. I went through the interview/paperwork processes only to be told that I would have to "spend down" before the VA nursing home will accept government payment. Our income is minimal..well below the poverty line. Our assets enable us to receive a few more dollars each month. This year many big ticket items went. I now am facing a $4,000.00 dental bill. I am using "assets" to cover these emergencies. Should I deplete the assets, I would have $850.00/month to pay my mortgage, etc., etc. Our family is in no position to help monetarily. Our sons live far away. I have very little eyesight left and no longer drive or own a car. Our HMO primary provides transportation for medical appointments. There is no way I can get us to an elder care attorney's office.
I guess I need to vent as I am feeling sorry for myself. Bernie just did something that made me uncontrollably angry and damaged the new tv. This is the third time in two days that he did the same thing. I need to monitor him 24 hours a day which, of course, is impossible. Each day he is more and more unresponsive, yet manages to do mischief should I turn my back or leave the room for a second.
Has anyone solved the dilemma "between a rock and a hard place"?

Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:09 am

I'd suggest that you not assume the only way to see an elderlaw attorney is to go to his/her office. As an attorney, I frequently see ill and elderly clients in their homes when they cannot venture out, and I think that is customary among most of the bar. And you could look at www.naela.org to find qualified elderlaw attorneys in your area.

Also, when you say you have gone through the interview/paperwork processes, is that just through the VA or have you also conferred with the elderly assistance people (the titles vary) in your county? They should be able to help you in looking at what help is available, whether through the VA or otherwise. Just asking to make sure you have explored all avenues.

Your situation sounds very difficult and I hope you will find some help soon!

Julianne

Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:16 am

Julieanne is correct as my sister in law who is in a assisted living facility just had an Attorney come to her for some modifications she wanted to make on her will, it might take a few extra calls but I bet you could find someone.
As to the things your husband is doing if at all possible try to ignore as much as you can as he really is not aware of what he is doing and correcting it might be near to impossible, of course if it is something that could cause him harm then by all means put that away.

Good luck as I am sure this is a very difficult time for you ! You have to keep asking until you find the answers you need !

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next