View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Sometimes LBD can be a "good" thing 

Post Sometimes LBD can be a "good" thing
My husband had a massive heart attack (he survived the widow maker) a couple of weeks ago. We did not tell his mom (who lives with us) because we did not want to upset her. She always over-reacted (understatement) to even the smallest crisis. We were afraid that if we told her she would get really upset and then forget it the next day. We would just have to tell her again and she would get upset all over again, etc. So we waited until he was out of danger and was out of ICU from the emergency bypass surgery. She nodded and smiled and giggled as I told her what had happened. She had no idea what I was talking about! She doesn't even question why he is home from work. Phew. Crisis averted. Only now I have two people to take care of. LOL

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:14 pm

Post Re: Sometimes LBD can be a "good" thing
Sorry to hear about your husband's heart attack. I hope he can fully recover.

Yes, there are some upsides to a person having dementia -- he/she doesn't know how bad his/her situation really is.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:12 pm

That's the only thing that I can actually appreciate - my mom has no idea what is going on but she laughs at nearly everything we say to her.

I hope your husband's recovery is quick and as easy as it can be. I hope you can find some time to rest and take care of yourself too!

Sun May 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Annoying as it may be at times, at least your mom is laughing and positive. The Namenda and Aricept made my dad so aware of how terribly debilitated he was that it increased his anger and frustration. That was one of the worst parts about the whole thing - seeing how cognizant he was of his deterioration. I guess there are silver linings in some of these situations. Take care, Lynn

Sun May 06, 2012 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]