View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 omg -- give us some Seroquel NOW!! 

Post omg -- give us some Seroquel NOW!!
My fault entirely, but somehow I managed not to reorder the Seroquel until we were nearly out, and it was time for doctor approval. It always takes several days to get that taken care of. We were forced by insurance to change drug stores recently, so they would not give us a few tablets to tide us over, as the old drug store would have, having an 8-year history of Coy on that drug to reassure them.

He takes it at bedtime only. I thought this might be an interesting (if unintended) look at whether he really needs it. This is his third night without it and I'd say the answer is, yes, he really needs it. He's up several times a night, and he is confused enough that that could be dangerous if unsupervised. Oh, I do not ever want to go back to getting up with Coy several times a night!

Tomorrow I am going to call the doctor's office and see what the delay is in approving the refills, and not get off the phone until I've tracked down someone who can remedy it!

I know that Seroquel is not effective for everyone, and for some it even makes matters worse. But for us this is one of the little miracle pills that has allowed me to keep Coy at home for almost nine years.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:35 am

Post Re: omg -- give us some Seroquel NOW!!
Hope you can get a few pills soon!

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:47 am

jeanne...

i have extra.. wish i could figure out how to get to you.. hope they jump thru hoops for you tomorrow....((()))

cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:01 am

Doctors staff! Sometimes it can be so infuriating trying to get through and get someone to do something. Praying that someone pays attention to you and that this is not an issue today!

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:38 am

Wow, Jeanne! I know what you are up against! Seroquel has been a godsend for us, as well. Hope your doctor will contact the pharmacy STAT about this order!!!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:27 am

I've just gone through the telephone tree and gotten to the "if you need a refill" option, and left a message regarding the refill, and told them there are 2 faxes from the pharmacy.

My brother also takes Seroquel and I'm tempted to borrow some, but a) he takes a huge dosage and I might have to cut the pill into 6ths, and b) my sisters and I are always on his case about taking only his own meds and not sharing among friends (he has a pain pill dependence problem) so while this is different, it might send the wrong message.

When we go to Mayo next month I'll ask to have the prescription switched to their responsibility. The sleep center where the script is now is fabulous, but we go through this every time on annual refill authorizations.

Grrrr... I might need Seroquel myself before I'm done here!

Thanks for your encouragement.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:41 am

Jeanne, unless they are time-release, they can be cut.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:37 pm

When my mom was transferred from the hospital to a SNF last month, it was on a Saturday. Because of some arcane rule regarding antipsychotics, they couldn't approve her Seroquel or her Clonopin for the first two nights she was there. Needless to say, it was a rough first two nights for her and for the staff! She would have been agitated anyway because of the transfer but then not to give her her calming meds - it was insane!

When we moved her out of the SNF into the ALF, it was also on a Saturday, and I made sure this wouldn't happen again. It didn't. I mean, they wouldn't withhold lifesaving medicine, so why withhold something that someone with dementia NEEDS???

Anyway, good luck and I hope you resolve this soon.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:56 pm

I got a call back from a real person at the sleep center who assured me that she personally handles all faxes and phone requests for refill authorizations and she had received nothing from our pharmacy. Sigh. I'd blame the pharmacy (which I am not too keen on anyway) but the same thing has happened more than once with the pharmacy I do love. Is there some evil vacuum in cyber space that sucks up authorization requests?

Anyway, the med is now ready so we'll go for a drive and pick it up. It will be our first use of the generic version. Cross your fingers, please.

Hmm ... it just occurred to me to wonder where they sent the fax. Dr. Schenck is on staff both at the sleep center and the University. If they sent it to the U he may get it in June or September. :oops:

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]