View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Mom is refusing to take any medication 

Post Mom is refusing to take any medication
Hi all - my mom is now refusing to take any medication. She is sure that everyone is trying to poison her. She had stopped eating and drinking anything but eventually got so hungry she decided that would be ok.

Any thoughts or ideas? It's been almost 2 days now.

Thanks
Lisa

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:42 am

Post Re: Mom is refusing to take any medication
Does this seem to be an end of life issue? How is she doing otherwise? I know I've seen your name here in the past but can't remember what her general state of health is. Has she been evaluated by hospice? Lynn

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:14 am

No - not an end of life issue. A paranoid/delusion issue. She is perfectly healthy otherwise.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:44 am

Does her dr. have any recommendations for med. changes that might help her with the delusional thinking?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:44 am

Speak with the MD about this. What about liquid Seroquel in ice cream or a chocolate shake?

Can the Exelon patch be put on a spot on her back where she can't get it off?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:57 am

It might be helpful to know what medications she is currently taking. As Robin has pointed out, some can be administered in ways than orally.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:45 am

Note that delusions are very hard to treat. The two medications I listed are perhaps two of the go-to meds for treating delusions. A third might be Depakote.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Definitely tell the doctor.

Is there anyone she might trust to examine her pills? Coy was in the hospital after a head injury (long before dementia) and refused his meds for the same reason. My sisters happened to be visiting when pills were delivered and one said, "I'll check them out for you Coy, and make sure they are all genuine." She borrowed some heavy tome from the nurses station and proceded to "look up" each pill. She'd inspect it closely, turn it over, "find" it in the book, and pronounce it legitimate. She did this with each pill and he then took them. Why on earth he would feel more trusting of my baby sister than of the nurse or of me, I couldn't tell you, but everyone was relieved the little game worked.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:15 pm

JeanneG wrote:
Definitely tell the doctor.

Is there anyone she might trust to examine her pills? Coy was in the hospital after a head injury (long before dementia) and refused his meds for the same reason. My sisters happened to be visiting when pills were delivered and one said, "I'll check them out for you Coy, and make sure they are all genuine." She borrowed some heavy tome from the nurses station and proceded to "look up" each pill. She'd inspect it closely, turn it over, "find" it in the book, and pronounce it legitimate. She did this with each pill and he then took them. Why on earth he would feel more trusting of my baby sister than of the nurse or of me, I couldn't tell you, but everyone was relieved the little game worked.
That's right, Jeanne. Delusions defy analysis. Whatever works!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:47 pm

That was a great idea your sister had and I'm so glad it worked. Great idea for other CGs dealing with the delusional thinking of LOs. Lynn

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi everyone. Thanks for your help. Mom decided (at least this morning) to take her pills. She is currently at an inpatient geri-psych unit (admitted late Friday) at Mt. Auburn Hospital Wyman Center in Cambridge. They have started her on Depakote and are trying to simplify her meds. Will see how it all goes.

For the record, I tried the "examine the pill" idea - didn't work.....

Lisa

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:28 pm

What about making a phone call to a "pharmacist" to make sure the pill is not a fake or poison and have a friend or relative be the pharmacist if she insists on talking on the phone herself? Lynn

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Hopefully Depakote will help with the delusions. It does help some.

I'd get a plan into place in case this happens again. Chances are very high that it will. Surely the psych unit had some ideas over the weekend for how to handle this situation?? If they didn't, that's not a good sign.

Will your mother ever be moving from the psych unit to a different care facility once she's stabilized? Or will she be staying at the psych unit indefinitely?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi Robin. Plan is that she will be there a week or 2 and that hopefully they can change the meds (and reduce them) and stabilize her and that she can go back to the dementia unit she was in before.

But it's a good thought and I will ask the question.

Lisa

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]