View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Amantadine 

Post Amantadine
I posted this just as the forum went down for a few mintes of maintenance so I hope it doesn't appear twice. My husband uses the Exelon patch, namenda and carbidopa/levidopa for his LBD, along with a lot of other medications for diabetes, his heart, blood pressure etc. His neurologist added amantadine (5mg.) to his list at our visit last week to see if it would improve his walking and bradykinesia. I know I should watch out for any hallucinatory side effects but I'd appreciate any comments from any of you with experience with this drug. At the moment he's complaining about a feeling of stomach fullness.
Ann

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:09 pm

Post Re: Amantadine
Most of the neurologists I know do not prescribe amantadine for someone with PD dementia or for someone over 70 because of it's likelihood of triggering hallucinations.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Thank you, Robin for your comment on Amantadine on April 7. I hadn't had a chance to post until now. I stopped the Amantadine after ten days after my husband had a noticeable decline which included talking in his sleep, garbled speech, a slightly drugged affect, several near falls and one serious fall in the bathroom that required the assistance of the EMT guys of 911.

After we stopped the medication my husband's speech improved, he was more alert and had stopped the talking in his sleep. His balance is still bad but it was anyway. I realize that all this could have been coincidental; part of the Lewy Body roller coaster. But we did see the neurologist's nurse practitioner a few days ago who felt the cognitive effects could have been the Amantadine. So no changes in meds for the next few months. And we wait to see the next nasty suprise.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks for the update. It seems that you were able to discern subtle aspects of cognitive/behavioral changes that were likely med-related, not LBD-related. It's tough work.

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]