View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mom won't eat 

Post Mom won't eat
My mother had pneumonia, and entered the hospital two weeks ago. Since then she has gone down hill every day. They put her on levaquin, and they took her off of her xanax (cold turkey)which she took three times a day. Then several days latter she was really anxious and they gave her ativan intraveiniously. She jerked until the next day. Now her speech is slurred and no one can understand her. She thinks she is making sense. I think she had a TIA. She is off of the antibiotic but still has some congestion in her chest. She will not eat except for a few bites each meal. She drinks very little. I have decided against a feeding tube based on her advanced directive and her current health stability. She is now out of the hospital and in a rehab section of the nursing home. We have tried pureeing her food, buying McDonalds, and giving her sweets. When she is on her parkinson's medicine she can swallow, she just won't eat. She is like a child that purses her lips and turns her head to get away from the food. She has lost 10-15 pounds since she entered the hospital just two weeks ago. I told her she has to eat to live, but she doesn't seem to comprehend the situation at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Post Re: Mom won't eat
So sorry for your heart breaking situation. Does she have reliable drs. whom you feel are really on top of her medication needs? Also, I'd ask for a hospice evaluation of your mom and I'd ask for their pamphlet which outlines behaviors and symptoms in the last months, weeks, and days. Wishing you strength at this very trying time. Lynn

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:28 am

Post Re: Mom won't eat
Marie,
It sounds like she's had enough. My advice would be to get an immediate hospice evaluation for your mother, and try to give her the best quality of life for her remaining days/weeks. Hospice will likely advise you not to plead to get your mother to eat.
Robin

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]