View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Frank's autospy results 

Post Frank's autospy results
I received Frank's autospy report and thanks to Robin, I understand the diagnosis. I will continue to read and google parts of it to help me absorb and further understand what is being said. I hope this is the first and last time I'll have to deal with any kind of dementia.

The report states Frank had "Diffuse Lewy Body Disease and AD". Robin said it could also be discribed as Lewy Body Dementia and AD, Parkinson's Disease Dementia and AD.

I was surprised PD was any part of it because Frank took sinement for a month to see if it helped with a hand tremor, it didn't, so his neurologist said that ruled out Parkinsons. So he never took any meds for PD.

Thank you Robin,
Fondly, Gerry

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:44 am

Post Re: Frank's autospy results
Gerry,

I hope it's the last time you will have to deal with dementia as well!

The terminology in the field is very confusing! There are three Lewy Body Diseases -- Parkinson's Disease, Parkinson's Disease Dementia, and Dementia with Lewy Bodies. (The last 2 are called Lewy Body Dementia.)

Knowing which of the three someone has depends on (a) how diffuse the Lewy bodies are throughout the brain (and Frank's were the most diffuse one can get), (b) what the clinical records say as to whether there were dementia symptoms and when dementia symptoms began in relation to when parkinsonism symptoms began, and (c) what the clinical records say as to whether there were Lewy Body Dementia symptoms present (hallucinations, fluctuating cognition, dementia, RBD, etc).

So, we can definitely say Frank had Lewy Body Dementia and Alzheimer's Disease. These two commonly co-occur, as they did with Frank.

Thanks again for donating Frank's brain!

Robin

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Post Re: Frank's autospy results
I want to echo Robin's thank-you. Research is our only hope that future generations will have less dementia to deal with.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]