View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Zyprexa - has it worked for others? 

Post Zyprexa - has it worked for others?
My 70 year old mom was recently diagnosed with LBD and the nursing home doctor put her on 5mg of Zyprexa as she was having extreme aggressive fits of pinching, biting, etc. The neurologist said that most of the time LBD patients don't react well to Zyprexa, but it's definitely kept her agitation in check. According to this website, it only causes issues with 50% of the people, so it obviously works for others.

Anyone else have experience with it working?

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Post Re: Zyprexa - has it worked for others?
We don't hear many positive stories about Zyprexa. I think there's one other person here with a positive story. You might do a search on posts containing "zyprexa." It's good that you've found something that will work with your mother!

The 50% statistic is about all neuroleptics (antipsychotics), not just Zyprexa.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:30 am

Frank was on Zyprexa for 4 years, gradually went up to 15mg and then gradually back to 5mg. I never noticed any negative effects. I found it difficult to know if any of the meds were still helping but things never got worse so I didn't ask to drop any of them. His Dr did try some changes, some were a disaster and were stopped and with others he seemed to do OK. It's a tough call, but I just left it up to the Dr.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:05 am

From what I'm reading on here, it literally seems to be hit or miss. It appears to work great or not at all. I'm wondering what kind of adverse side effects it gives for those who don't react well to it?

Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:54 pm

My husband had a terrible reaction to Zyprexa.
He has been on Seroquel now for a year and that seems to really help! 25mg. twice a day.
Ginya

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:39 am

Ginya,

When you say he had a bad reaction, what happened? I'm just trying to gauge what happens on the opposite spectrum of Zyprexa working well.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:30 pm

My husband was put on zyprexa for extreme paranoia. Within days he stopped fearing intruders and hiding from the outside world. It was a miracle for us. He started at 2.5 mg 3 yrs ago, and has had to gradually be increased to 5 mg in the morning and 10 mg at night. For awhile he thought people were walking in and out of his room, which is why we started the am dose. There is a different LBD not only for every patient, but for every day of the year for every patient. When you think you've got the meds right that's when you'll probably have to change something again. I agonized over the med decision until I got some very good advice: he was clearly miserable thinking he, his family, and his home were constantly in danger. It was better we work to clear away that delusion and ease his mind. Good luck to you!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:44 am

We go back to the neurologist in a few weeks and I'm going to ask his thoughts on it. The thing I noticed lately is that she's now in what I would call a manic phase. Not sure if it's related to the Zyprexa or if it's part of the LBD.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Indyscooter,
Is your mother bipolar?
Robin

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:01 pm

My doc gave me zyprexa for agitated moods....I only take it 1-2 times a week....it helps me a lot with no I'll effects....but I think older ppl are probably more sensitive-maybe-then again every case is different....glad something is helping your mother
Best wishes....

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:32 am

Zyprexa worked very well for my father. He's been on it for 6 months. Now that he is in very late stages his doctors is weening him off it and putting him on Seroquel instead. The reason is that my father's tremors are so bad now he can't feed himself or assist with wheelchair transfers at all, and supposedly (according to the doc) Zyprexa can increase the shaking.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:22 am
Profile WWW

Neurologist is stopping the Zyprexa completely. Her mania has gone completely out of control and she has zero impulse control now as well. Thank God she's in the nursing home where she can be monitored 24/7. The neuro is thinking her LBD may be progressing faster.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Is the neurologist planning to try a different medication? It seems in the Bay Area depakote is being used more and more.

Yes, thank goodness she's in a care facility where she can be monitored closely and kept safe.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:43 pm

I think he's trying to see if it's the Zyprexa or the LBD that's really progressing. He said if she starts to get out of control with the aggression he'll put her on a different medication

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]