View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Auditory hallucinations and double vision 

Post Auditory hallucinations and double vision
Hello -

New to the forum, although I think I've posted once before. Still trying to get definitive diagnosis for my 71 y/o father. He has dementia symptoms and was tested and found to have MCI with pronounced executive functioning deficits (frontal lobe) - but these findings are skewed by the fact that his level of functioning before the dementia was in the 99th %ile for most things. So losing one-third of his intellectual capacity still puts him at "above average". Both his MRI and CT scans showed "atrophy associated with normal aging" (!), but nothing else remarkable.

He has been relatively stable lately - except for the fluctuations, if that makes sense. No big downward slide, but he'll have a week when I think all of this is in my head and then - boom! - out of the blue, he'll have a horrific day when he is mean as a snake, lacking in all empathy, easily agitated and less able to navigate in the kitchen by himself.

Even when I think it's all in my head, I have to remind myself that he hasn't showered or bathed (except for "spit baths" with rubbing alcohol and/or wash cloths) in a couple of years, neglected his dental care to the extent that the majority of his teeth had to be pulled, hasn't managed financial dealings at all in several years, stopped reading for the most part, spends his life watching television and sleeping and even is now forgetting to smoke cigarettes (down to about 2 a day from being a chain smoker), shuffles frequently rather than lifting his feet and has general tremor that is better some days than others.

Good part is that, aside from his bad days, he is actually better tempered overall than he was when I was a child and is frequently entertaining to talk with and retains a great fund of knowledge. But his memory is definitely getting worse for recent events - lots of trouble tracking time (days, years, weeks - all a blur).

Anyway, here are my questions: he had a few incidents of visual hallucinations a year ago, but recently his hallucinations are almost all auditory - do other people with LBD have auditory hallucinations? Like he will come flying out of his room alarmed and look at me saying, "Did you hear that!?!" And I didn't hear anything, but he'll swear there was a giant crash somewhere. Or he'll swear that the previous night there was "someone walking around outside my window" - which, given where we live and the window he is speaking about, simply isn't possible - but he's convinced. He also experiences episodic double vision - is this common with LBD also?

Thanks all - I hate this disease. I hate all dementias. They are just awful.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Post Re: Auditory hallucinations and double vision
Hi,

My mother had some visual hallucinations and many, many auditory ones. She would hear all kinds of things. Girls, babies, you name it. My mother too became nicer. In some ways it was easier to be around her the more sick she became. I am sorry you have to be here but as you have seen this can be a very supportive place. Take care. Sharon E.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:10 pm

O.K., my LO (loved one) has auditory hallucinations as well as visual ones but she also has better than normal hearing. Actually, she has the best hearing I have ever experienced in a human being. It is a bit of a problem since she lives in a relatively noisy ALF. And I don't know if you would call it double vision, but she will sometimes have a conversation with me while looking at a spot where I am not sitting. It is quite unnerving. I want to wave my arms and say, "I'm over here". I've always assumed it is Capgras Syndrome, but maybe it is double vision. My LO has been diagnosed with LBD by a national expert.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Leah,

Sorry you've had to join us here, but welcome.

Amazing to hear that your dad is better-tempered now than before. This is unusual! It's obvious you are taking advantage of your time together.

People with LBD can have auditory hallucinations. It's less common.

Double vision is common in PD and all the atypical parkinsonism disorders. You might be able to treat this with an eye patch but I'm not sure your dad would cooperate.

In the cases of really smart people like your dad, I think the MDs struggle to make a diagnosis. You probably know that a definitive diagnosis is only possible upon death through a brain autopsy.

Robin

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:43 am

Leah, my dad got more even tempered as he aged. He did not have dementia, he just seemed to mellow with age and as he looked back over his life. Maybe you would find this change in your father even if he had no impairments.

Welcome!

Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:54 am

Thanks to everyone for replying!

I think part of my father's even-temperedness is that, because he is dependent on me now for care, he is having his depression treated for the first time in his life. He takes 150 mg of Wellbutrin twice a day and it has done WONDERS. It's like it has allowed the best parts of who he is to emerge.

He's no angel though! He is extremely self-focused, which can be an issue since my partner and I have a 6 y/o daughter - and it seems he always wants my attention immediately EXACTLY when she does!

But it's still a blessing, right now, to have him with us and to give me my father back in my life for a while, and to give my daughter a bit of a grandfather.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:12 am

I'm new to the boards and LBD as well with my mother. She's 70 years old and recently diagnosed. There are some days where she sees and hears things and other days where she seems fairly lucid, but mean as hell. She was about screaming at me yesterday because I wouldn't order her a catalog for pajamas with feet. She's in a nursing home and has has prior aggressive tendencies, which have now been quelled by Zyprexa.

However, she is diabetic, high BP and cholesterol and pretty much refuses to take all those medications, including the Aricept.

It's incredibly frustrating at times and even though I keep telling myself it's not personal and that it's the disease, it's still hard.

Keep your head up - I feel your pain.

Stephanie

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:30 pm

My husband has also complained that he hears noise from the neighbor's house late at night, like they are partying outside. She is an RN and he is an RT. They have an adult son and younger daughter that stays with them occasionally. I'm a very deep sleeper the first 3-4 hours at night so I never really questioned what he hears, only been skeptical due to what I know about the neighbors. I'll have to ask the neighbors about it in order to determine if he is having auditory hallucinations. He does have visual hallucinations, mostly kids, dogs, and people messing at the house across the street or on the roof.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:33 pm

My mom (76, LBD for about 5 years) also has auditory hallucinations-as well as complex visual ones. She hears singing, she hears voices arguing in her wheezing, crashes, people screaming for help, and people talking about her all the time. She also has olfactory hallucinations-smells bacon frying, smells cigarette smoke, etc.
She also has double vision! I was relieved to hear this is not uncommon after all, since none of her doctor's have connected that. It used to come and go, now it is mostly present.
I also related to the blend of docility and aggression. One of the hardest things to handle has been her episodes where she (uncharacteristically for her) becomes belligerent, sarcastic, or screams angrily and throws things-this can be at me or at her nurses, or neighbors. It is so unnerving! She can say such mean things! She can turn on a dime- going from childlike sweetness to berserk over being refused candy or being disagreed with on something.
She has developed delusions, lasting beliefs that certain people are against her, that there are worms in her food, that a pregnant woman is faking it, etc. She has begun to "confront" people on things she is only imagining! It is embarrassing!

Fri May 04, 2012 8:01 am

I am going to make a comment in my off topic spot on this subject…….

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Fri May 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi there, I am also new to the forum, and we do not have a diagnosis yet. But I thought I would reply since my LO hears entire symphonies and jazz pieces. I had her hum them for me, and they were not half bad! ;) But she was super annoyed the music would not stop. Then suddenly it stopped after a few weeks. She also has very detailed visual hallucinations, which she knows are not real.... but she can't tell the difference with music.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. But I must say this forum is filled with great advice and anecdotes.

Fri May 04, 2012 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]