View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Fatigue and Lewy Body Dementia 

Post Fatigue and Lewy Body Dementia
Can anyone point me to any scholarly abstracts that discuss fatigue as a symptom of LBD? I would be most grateful - even a credible website might be helpful....Thanks everyone!

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Post Re: Fatigue and Lewy Body Dementia
Dear Tonya ~ I don't know of any scholarly articles, but I can tell you "fatigue" has been a huge problem with my husband going way back. I don't know if it is true fatigue or what, but he has had great difficulties with staying awake for many years... Blessings to you and praying for God's mercy for all of us.
Kyrie Eleison!
Roxanne
PS-Thank you Pat for the poignant words in Greek!!

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 pm

There are many good medical journal articles on "non-motor symptoms" of Parkinson's Disease, and a few specifically on fatigue in PD. One recent example:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22166444

And you might find this one interesting on gender differences:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22237822

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:07 am

I don't know if you'll find any value in this lay description:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3317

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:27 am

Thank you Roxanne and Robin!

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:23 am

Interesting articles. I just wish I knew HOW to treat the pain and fatigue. My mother sleeps so much during the day and then has awful lucid dreams and gut pain all night. We keep trying, but haven't found the answer yet.

Liz

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Liz,
Has your family and neurologist considered Provigil?
Robin

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:55 pm

There is also one article suggesting that physical frailty, including fatigue, is not so specifically associated with the presence of Lewy bodies at post mortem. This was in the Rush Memory and Aging Project, which I helped to design some years back, and gets post mortem on all participants so really does have confirmed diagnosis. Note the population is a good deal older (mean age 88) and not a lot of the variation in frailty was accounted for by brain pathology. At least with my mother, I think that sleep disturbances definitely affect her fatigue level because she is much worse after a bad night. (Anecdotal, not research driven.) These folks are really solid researchers and have probably the world's most extensive collection of post-mortem-confirmed, longitudinal data on cognitive aging.

Here is the abstract:

Neurology. 2008 Aug 12;71(7):499-504.
Physical frailty in older persons is associated with Alzheimer disease pathology.
Buchman AS, Schneider JA, Leurgans S, Bennett DA.
Source
Rush Alzheimer's Disease Center, Rush University Medical Center, Armour Academic Facility, Suite 1038, 600 S Paulina St, Chicago, IL 60612, USA. aron_s_buchman@rush.edu
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
We examined the extent to which physical frailty in older persons is associated with common age-related brain pathology, including cerebral infarcts, Lewy body pathology, and Alzheimer disease (AD) pathology.
METHODS:
We studied brain autopsies from 165 deceased participants from the Rush Memory and Aging Project, a longitudinal clinical-pathologic study of aging. Physical frailty, based on four components, including grip strength, time to walk 8 feet, body composition, and fatigue, was assessed at annual clinical evaluations. Multiple regression analyses were used to examine the relation of postmortem neuropathologic findings to frailty proximate to death, controlling for age, sex, and education.
RESULTS:
The mean age at death was 88.1 years (SD = 5.7 years). The level of AD pathology was associated with frailty proximate to death ( = 0.252, SE = 0.077, p = 0.001), accounting for 4% of the variance of physical frailty. Neither cerebral infarcts ( = -0.121, SE = 0.115, p = 0.294) nor Lewy body disease pathology ( = 0.07, SE = 0.156, p = 0.678) was associated with frailty. These associations were unchanged after controlling for the time interval from last clinical evaluation to autopsy. The association of AD pathology with frailty did not differ by the presence of dementia, and this association was unchanged even after considering potential confounders, including physical activity; parkinsonian signs; pulmonary function; or history of chronic diseases, including vascular risk factors, vascular disease burden, falls, joint pain, or use of antipsychotic or antihypertensive medications.
CONCLUSION:
Physical frailty in old age is associated with Alzheimer disease pathology in older persons with and without dementia.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:56 pm

My husband started exhibiting signs of being frail and feeble at about age 62 - much too young to be frail/feeble IMO.

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]