View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Finding an assisted living/nursing home 

Post Re: Finding an assisted living/nursing home
Liz, what do you mean by lucid dreams? Does your mother have REM Behavior Disorder (RBD), where she acts out her dreams? Seroquel will not stop that. Klonopin almost always will.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:37 am

Wow! I did not know that. She has been addicted to the benzodiazepines (two years ago she was still in charge of her own medications and took those drugs constantly - had 5 or so different versions of them) so the doctors removed her from them (including the klonopin). This has been a huge source of anger to her because she is convinced that those drugs were making her anxiety less (but they were making her a lot more crazy and she was really worse, but didn't remember being worse later). I had no idea that klonopin would help with that, though. Perhaps I will run that by the neurologist the next time we are in. She has horrible dreams and can't tell them from reality and sometimes she does act things out - her reality and dreams seem to blend together. She said that she had locked herself into her room and hidden behind some furniture this morning so that the staff couldn't get to her with her morning medications because she thought that she was a little Jewish child in a concentration camp (a frequent dream she has). It definitely creates real problems with the folks at the assisted living facility. Thanks for that. I didn't know that the Seroquil didn't help with that.

Liz

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:48 am

I suggest you Google and do a little reading on RBD to see if your mother's dreams seem to match those. RBD can be confirmed via a sleep study. RBD is common among DLBers. My husband takes both Klonopin and Seroquel -- different solutions to different problems.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:54 am

Just something to consider when choosing a nursing home or dementia unit:

When we were selecting a place for Mom, one of the questions I asked was whether they would ask Mom to leave at any time during her stay there. The one we selected said that no, they don't ask people to leave. It sounded good at the time. BUT...

Several of the other residents have gotten overtly violent, both verbally and physically. This is really frightening my mom and several of the other residents who are much quieter and are dealing with a lot of anxiety. And I'm getting concerned, as the hallways are not visible to the nurses station or the common room, so the very busy staff has trouble knowing what is going on in the hallways. Yes, they do have direction that a staff member is to walk down the hallway every 15 minutes to check on things, but that staff member usually gets pulled into doing something for one resident and never makes the full tour. I am trying to get them to put cameras in the hallways of the unit that transmit real time images to the nurses station, but I doubt it will happen.

I'm getting more and more concerned that we might end up with an incident like one that occurred at another nursing home two or three years ago when a retired professional wrestler (they have to have care, too) beat his roommate to death. The family of the victim was very understanding and the issue blew over, but it is something to think about.

I am of the opinion now that nursing homes should be able to ask people to leave when there is a good reason for doing so. Or they should house the more abusive residents in a separate area so that those who have anxiety issues but are better behaved are not exposed to them. Or, though this is now socially and medically considered unacceptable, insist that the patient be properly medicated to control their behavior. I had some experience with over-medication with my grandmother thirty years ago and strongly objected at the time. But now I understand better. Medicating to control violent behavior (and verbal violence can be just as bad as physical) is not just to help the staff. The other residents need to be considered, too. No one (or more) resident has the right to frighten the other residents.

If I were selecting a nursing facility/dementia unit now, I would ask the same question, looking for a different answer. Or maybe a question about what they do when one resident's behavior affects and frightens other residents. I now understand why there needs to be a plan for protecting the rest of the residents from the behavior of the others.

Kate

Kate

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:17 am

Oh, and Jeanne is right about a sleep study. I just had one done for myself and it was very enlightening. If you'd like a recommendation, I can give you the name of the clinic and doctor.

Kate

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2