View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Frequency of cancer dx? 

Post Frequency of cancer dx?
I am just wondering if the incidence of cancer in LBD, PDD, and PD patients is within the norm. From my personal observation of extended family members (several of whom are in remission from cancer for over 10 years), there is no incidence of LBD/PD/PDD, yet in those afflicted with dementia (LBDx1, AD x4), there has been no incidence of cancer. Could dementia be partially the result of an immune system in overdrive (autoimmune response). I know that kicks in to fight the alpha-syn formations, but could it be involved in an earlier stage? Have corticosteroids helped slow the process? I have searched in the forum here and see that there have been some loved ones afflicted with cancer as well, but it doesn't seem to be a significant number.

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Post Re: Frequency of cancer dx?
I don't know much about anything but I think it could be possible....They are using immunoglobulin with AD so I wonder if the latest thinking might be that at least some forms of dementia might be autoimmune in nature - since that's a med used for AI diseases....I think I recently read about - it wasn't humira but one like it being used in a study for AD...another AI drug.....I have autoimmune thyroid disease and I wonder how many others with dementia have an AI disease of some type or thyroid disturbance?
Interesting question....I have lots of cancer on both sides of the family so was expecting to face it one day but not dementia.....

Best,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Hang in there, Tonya. You're young yet and researchers may be on the brink of a breakthough. As long as there's life, there's hope! None of us are perfect, so let's just enjoy what we've got.

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:16 am

Thanks Dale for the encouragement!

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]