View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Compassionate Allowance List 

Post Compassionate Allowance List
I received news today that Lewy Body Dementia has been added to the list of disorders approved for Compassionate Allowance by the Social Security Administration, effective 12/10/11. This means that those diagnosed with LBD will have an easier time to be approved for Social Security Disability.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Post Re: Compassionate Allowance List
Wow. Thanks for sharing that.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:55 pm

wow….thats great if now they state it that way….

before….it was in the Mixed Dementias….listed as just 'Lewy Body Disease' or something similar….this is great…

I printed the sheets off of the Social Security website….about 4 or 5 of drill down…..

what a Compassionate Allowance was…next….how it was supposed to be push through in as little as 21 days…..on only the medical information if they decided to do so….next two sheets of drill down to get to lewy…..

they wanted to insist on using the terminal compassionate allowance…..

anyway….they had to deal with me….

I got it through in Tennessee…..by myself….no attorney….no help….no caregiver….just me…..

no physical….just paperwork and the diagnosis and the 83 page CV from Dr. Boeve…..

and no doubt dealing with me on a continuing basis had to have some effect….. :lol:

it took a little longer than 21 days….more like 4 months….

but…..no denial….awarded first time….
first check was actually deposited yesterday….
disability awarded back to last day I worked….

YES……USE THIS…..DON"T JUST ASK……the person on the counter had no clue…..RAM it DOWN THEIR THROATS….every time you communicate with them…..

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Craig, the noises we make have consequences. It is highly possible that your determination could have been the tipping point for passing this new ruling. We must all remember, one step at a time. Never give up. We come from many different directions to join as one.

Dorthea

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Robin,
This is great news, Thanks for sharing I know I can make good use of that information to help others along my travels !

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:58 pm
Profile WWW

For today’s press release from Social Security and a list of the new conditions, see:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pressoffi ... es-alt.pdf

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:21 am

On the detailed list I saw (that is not part of the press release), I didn't really like on LBD was described. First off, it was described as a "mental condition" rather than a "neurological condition." Second, this was the short description:

"Lewy Body Dementia(LBD) is a type of progressive dementia that occurs in people older than 65. It is caused by build up of abnormal proteins in the brain (Lewy bodies). LBD causes symptoms of cognitive impairments and abnormal behavioral changes."

It seems that if you are going to allow people to claim SSD using an LBD diagnosis, you shouldn't start off by saying that the condition occurs in people older than 65. Maybe that short description carries no weight at the SSA.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:24 am

Unlike some of the other conditions that were added, where there were non-profit organizations behind the efforts to achieve those additions, LBD was added by the Commissioner of Social Security.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 am

yep….since I am under 65….guess I will just have to go back to work….

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:09 am

That is a crazy statement as well as so many of us know, by the age of 65 my husband was gone from 9 yrs of LBD and I was left a widow at 52 yrs old !!

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]