View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 A Bathroom That Works 

Post Re: A Bathroom That Works
Kaeti, your ideas sound great.
Are the dog training pads disposable?

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:15 am

Pat, the dog training pads are great. They come in different sizes--for large and small dogs :lol: and hold a lot of liquid. The edges are soft and non-irritating when touching the skin. I use them under Tom at night for extra protection. They are disposable. Kathy

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:30 am

Kathy, I just noticed that you live in Durham. I am in NC as well and was just there visiting our children and grands. My husband, John, is still in early stage LBD and you and I are about the same age.
I would love to compare notes with you sometime. Send me a private message here on the forum or my email is
patsnyder137@gmail.com, if you are interested.
Take care,
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Last edited by Pat on Sun May 13, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:48 am

Thanks for the information! My dad recently diagnosed is still able to make decsions. He agreed to the bidet, I am so glad to hear it works, both mom and dad agreed but are skeptical so we have not got one yet. Mom wanted to try one first before buying! I don't think that's possiable so your post helps! I do have a couple questions though. Both their bathrooms are small so we are trying to decide which one to renovate how bis is yours, and approximately how much did it cost to gut the existing one and relocate the drains and do all that you did? This would help to have an idea as they are still reluctant and so far wont let me bring someone in for an estimate, it does not help the stock market going down. Their funds went down a bit! I would appreciate any information you would be willing to share! Thanks!

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:48 am

Liberty, I was just like your parents. I wanted to try that bidet seat first. And I actually found one at a designer type plumbing supply store in Asheville. They had one installed in one of the bathrooms.
Tell your parents that the seat is gently warm, there is a great deoderizer feature that removes odors immediately, and the difference you feel after using one regularly is significant. You really miss home in a new way. :P

You will need to have an electrical outlet near the toilet, but the plumbing part just connects simply to the toilet. Cost for the top of the line Toto bidet seat is about $800 online, which is hundreds cheaper than buying it regular retail. Other seats are less expensive than that--around $500, I think. Look on Ebay and online. Prices may have gone down.

Our bath is about 7.5x11 ft. It now looks much bigger than before due to change to more open design. I am including a picture of the wet zone part of it in my book on early stage LBD, which should be coming out in a few months.
I got estimates from about $20K to $15K, but decided to be my own contractor, using a fellow that a friend had used to redo her baths for most of the work. There are pluses and minuses for what I did, but my final total cost was about $12.5K. Many items I bought at Lowes for bargain prices, others I went for high end, like bidet seat and custom cabinets. I spent a lot of time hunting for the best prices and paid a lot of attention to details that would make the bath user friendly. We live in a place where there is very low cost of living in western NC, so other areas will likely have higher cost than I did.
Tell your parents that estimates are free and then you will know what your options are more clearly. I learned something new that I wanted for my bath or changed my mind about my options every time I got an estimate from a contractor. It was a good part of the decision making process and it was free.
I hope things work out for you and your family!
Hugs,
Pat

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks for the information, it is really helpful. Can't wait for your book to come out! I could use it now! Lol! I am a hospice nurse so I know the end part but not the beginning! Let me know when your book is out, I want to be first in line! Take care, Jodee

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:43 pm

Jodee, let us know on the forum if your parents opt for a new bath and how that works out.
Thanks for the book comment.
Let me reassure anyone reading this that I will not share private information from this forum in my book. This is a private place.
Pat

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:50 pm

I told my mom about the information you shared. Then she disclosed what I had suspected , she said as soon as the stock marget goes back up we can get estimates! I had to chuckle, I know they want tp protect what funds they have, but it is another way to deny the future! My mom is really struggling with all of this, she endures his forgetfulness and moods. Every day she sees a man that she did not marry. She also sees her own mortality... She's become impatient and a tad snarky. So I try to give time space and support, knowing that this is hardest on her in many ways!
So I will keep every one posted once we get started! Thanks for listening, I feel a bit lighter at least for the moment!
Jodee

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:23 pm

My husband has LBD and I have a much cheaper solution to the Bidet suggestion. A very simple bidet can be purchased on Amazon.Com for about $75. It attaches to the regular toilet seat and is very simple to install and use. I bought one and it works just fine and saved a lot of money. We live in an apartment and couldn't remodel the whole bathroom. When my neighbor saw it, she immediately bought one and neither she nor her husband, have any dementia problems. She just thought it was the best gadget since sliced white bread! Just put "bidet" in the search space.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:30 am

In Japan they have very complicated toilets that do all sorts of things for you. They consider us very primitive when it comes to hygiene.

Sun May 13, 2012 3:18 am

Here are before and after pictures of the bathroom.

Attachments:
finsished bath 25 percent size image IMG_1400.JPG
finsished bath 25 percent size image IMG_1400.JPG [ 193.61 KiB | Viewed 5288 times ]
bathroom before 25 percent size IMG_0264.JPG
bathroom before 25 percent size IMG_0264.JPG [ 37.69 KiB | Viewed 5288 times ]

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Nice Pat! I'm sure your ideas will help someone who needs a more functional bathroom for their LO and it is aesthetically pleasing too! Lynn

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:58 pm

It's beautiful, Pat! Love that tile!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Pat,
This looks great ! Thanks for sharing here !

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:44 pm
Profile WWW

Pat....does the Toto bidet have to go on a Toto toilet?? Do you have the style name and number of the one you got?? Thanks ... Although Norris still is able to use the bathroom and is still continent, he cannot clean himself...so this would be wonderful. Carol

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next