View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Does anyone use a walk-in tub? 

Post Re: Does anyone use a walk-in tub?
I thought I would post this as this is an alternative to walk in bathtub, which I think has a step in and might be a problem down the road , But this will only work if you already have a bathtub of course !

http://www.usmedicalsupplies.com/AG-BLBath-Lifts.htm

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:35 pm
Profile WWW

Well, we have a walk-in tub and we love it! Coy was a little hesitant the first time. The second time he said to me, " I don't think I'd want to do this alone," and I assured him he'd never have to, that I'd always be there with him. The third time (tonight) he was an old pro. To begin with it seemed like so much to learn -- seal the door, close the drain, turn on the air jets, adjust the water temperature. Just so many levers and knobs. But I was there to do them, and now he is comfortable with it.

It is easier to help in the tub than it is in our walk-in shower. The tub wall comes up to my chest and I'm not getting all wet as I lean over to wash his back or rinse his hair. And it is not far to lean since he is sitting right in front of me.

He has trouble with his arthritic ankles, and we are both trying to remember the foot exercises we learned in warm-water arthritis exercise class.

Our son showers in it every day that he is here, so nothing has changed for him.

I still shower in the old walkin shower on mornings I'm getting ready to go somewhere, but, oh my, it is really nice to relax in the tub before going to bed some nights. I had a new light installed above the tub, which was good foresight. I can read about 3 chapters in a quickie murder mystery while sitting in the hot water! 8)

My regret is that we didn't do this several years ago. I don't know how long Coy will be able to use it, but even after he can't, I will!

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Jeanne,
I am so glad that you posted this here as I really don't know anyone who has installed one and I too see the ads on TV and they look nice but I wasn't really sure about them either. So I am sure this will be helpful for others that might be thinking about one. The thought for the overhead light is like an extra bonus!

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 pm
Profile WWW

Many people I mention it to have the same first reaction I did. Don't you get cold/bored waiting for the tub to fill and drain?

First, it doesn't take as long as you might expect to fill and drain, because they install wider pipes. And with the air jets agitating the water the air gets so steamy it is quite warm in there! I thought I'd cut some t-shirts off midriff to keep Coy's shoulders warm and Coy thought we might want a ceiling heater over the tub, but none of that has been necessary. I use the handheld shower to rinse Coy's hair and body while the tub drains and he is ready to get out about the same time the door is ready to be opened.

I just wish we'd done this years ago.

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:54 pm

[b]Does anyone have any tips on showering struggles. My MIL can still shower on her own (sort of) She says she can't get the water hot enough, though I have showed her several times. If I know she's taking a shower I will go in after she's in and try to adjust it for her. I have found lotion and hair gel in the shower that she has been using to bathe and wash her hair with. When that happens i just take them out and put them under the sink. She gets water all over the bathroom, still haven't really figured that one out. Although, the other day she left the shower on after she left the bathroom. So if she's leaving the water on while she's getting out that may be why. It is a walk in shower, so she does'nt have to step over anything. The shower knob is just one knob you push it up for water to turn on and right or left for temperature. I thought this would the least confusing of other shower knobs. Apparently not. I would help her more, but she doesn't think she needs help. I don't think she would let me, other than coming in and adjusting the shower. I had to take her razors because she was cutting up her legs. I bought her an electric one. That has seemed to make her happy. for now. Anyway, I'm trying to give her as much independance as I can. I'm just not sure when I shoud just say, "I'm sorry, but, I'm going to help you whether you want me to or not. Help! :? [/b]

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:57 pm

My take on all of this:

Any bathing accomodation for our LO's may be very short lived, for various reasons, some mentioned in this thread. For this reason, I suggest any significant expense be undertaken with long term use and home value kept in mind.

I built my current house to be somewhat disabled accessible both for my husband's needs and as value added to the property. As I have written in other threads, the only truly custom feature was the barrier-free shower, which was used only a few times by my husband (with me as washer) before his placement, but which I totally enjoy now and which means I don't have to worry about having to move out of my house if I need that accessibility. To keep it roomy, I chose not to have a built-in seat because shower chairs are easy to use or not as needed. Also, because custom shower doors cost $$$$, I have a simple shower curtain--works for me.

Many standard bathrooms can be remodeled to have one my size, 5' x 4'. A standard tub takes up about 5' x 3' and is less roomy lengthwise because of the edge around the tub, whereas the shower uses the whole 5'. And a bumpout of a foot or so would fit in many bathrooms. So it really doesn't take much more floor space, but seems huge and luxurious. I love it. And I truly believe it is "value added" to the house.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:35 am

DeeDee,
It's time to step in! Maybe say "I'd really like to help you now take a soothing shower now and I got some nice stuff we can try." Get scented shower gels. (Can she smell?) Have a set schedule for showering. Every day may not be necessary. Think about what you like in a shower and try to give that to her.
Robin

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:36 am

I agree, Gail, it makes sense to think of the value of any expensive changes after the immediate need is longer part of the picture. I love our tub! I'm about to go soak in it awhile, with the jets bubbling away!

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:04 am

Robin - I have purchased some good smelling Bath Gel for her and nice shampoo. I think she gets them confused. So I tried bar soap, I figured this was something she most used in her earlier years and may be easier for her to recognize the difference between that and the shampoo. I bought a lil "soap scrunchie" that the bar slips into so she didn't have to handle the actual bar of soap. I don't think she's going to let me put her on a schedule of any kind. I would love to as that would make things go easier around here for me. I have a special needs son that had to have routine in order to function well. So I def know the advantages of that. She wants to do things, when she wants to do things. Sometimes I don't even know she's showering. I may be cooking dinner or something and the next thing I know she's coming upstairs complaining that the shower was cold again. I've told her to let me know when she's taking one so I can help her but I think she forgets. I've tried to set a lot of things up for her for easy access but she changes it back so I stopped doing that. I think it upsets her too much. I guess I can look in ALZ Store to see if there is a special kind of shower faucet and/or keep trying to get her to tell me before she showers.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:56 am

Gail, I agree with you. Any house change to accomodate medical needs should be made as much as possible with an eye to increasing home value. For a little more money you might be able to greatly increase a future selling price.
Real estate folks looked at our house after our bath remodel and entry ramp redo and told us our house value was definitely more than before. Plus, if it is done attractively, you get the benefit of enjoying it yourself every day.
Jeanne, so glad you are enjoying your tub. I feel the same way about our barrier free shower. And we use no shower curtain because the floor gently slants toward the drain in our "wet zone". The openness is wonderful and so convenient when John needs my help.

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2