View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 new tv show on lewy body 

Post new tv show on lewy body
not sure this is the right area..??

but just read a synopsis of a new tv show, called the boss.. with kelsey grammer.. he is a mayor, that is diagnosed with dementia.. lewy body dementia. he wants to hide it from voters..

not sure how good or how realistic it will be.. but thought i'd mention, for those of you that might want to give it a try.. glad to see lb getting some name exposure..
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Post Re: new tv show on lewy body
At least it's bringing the name to the forefront, which I think is a good thing.
BTW, a friend of mine's dad just died a few days ago from LBD. Interesting they put in his obit that he died from "a very severe and rare form of dementia" and I know that his dx was LBD. Surprised they used the word "rare". Any factual info. that can get out there has to be helpful. Lynn

Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:58 pm

I am not sure that I like this particular way to bring LBD to the masses…

think about this…

( I looked up the show info)

a political drama in Chicago with a political figure hiding his medical condition…

looking at facts only….

politics in Chicago….corrupt
political figure in location know for corruption….
political figure in location known for corruption with neurodegenerative condition that is hiding his medical condition….

I might be missing something…but I don't think this TV is going to be good for me going forward….

my guess….

viewers of this show are going to distrust me even more…and are not going to want to help me continue longer functioning as normal….
this setup smacks as high drama and sensationalism….

I could be wrong….but this is my first guess….I would love to be proved wrong as this comes to pass….hopefully I can appreciate whatever happens when it happens….

how refreshing if the story line was as follows:
professional comes forward with diagnosis of LBD…
employer works with employee to make a win-win situation to allow company to benefit and employee to stay productive while both maintain….an honest and open relationship….
everyone is honest and open and realistic….
employee transistions to disablility retirement and volunteerism and activism….
company builds loyalty among its other employees…
patient fades away among community…..not isolated….not sensationalised…..

I can dream….

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:31 pm

In the latest LBDA newsletter mentions that Kelsey Grammer's character has dementia but notes that no one has said which kind of dementia. The LBDA did say that the TV show's staff has asked for LBD materials.

Where did you read that it was for sure LBD?

Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:43 pm

well nothing is ever for sure LOL

but i read it in this weeks tv guide page 23

it says tom kane..(grammer) is recently "diagnosed with lewy body dementia, a terminal illness that brings both physical and mental decline"

it says it will premier on starz on oct 21..

interesting they got info .. then hopefully it will be a factual account..

cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:14 pm

here again…don't know what the story line is past what they are releasing….

but….factual…they got materials from LBDA….

that could be great….

that could be not so great….

think about a corrupt politician…that is paranoid, delusional, on a fluctuating basis….

I have a bad feeling about this….

and they have renewed the first season…..its on a cable network….that means that they are satisfied the first season will be a hit…

must be some meaty stuff in there….

of course I could be wrong…it could be a politician that is benevolently, paranoid, delusional, on a fluctuating basis…but then it wouldn't be listed as a drama….

what would be great if LBDA had asked for and been granted oversight of program….maybe they have….

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:15 pm

Let's hope the show raises lots of awareness about this disease. It sure would be helpful if more medical people, SNF & ALF staff knew about it, wouldn't it? If the show could educate more people it would be SO helpful.
I don't think any of my dad's CGs at the ALF had ever heard the term LBD when he first got there and that was only 2 yr. ago. I brought in info. I'd gotten from the LBDA and tried to explain as much as I was able about his needs, the disease and why he was acting the way he was, and how the person they were caring for was not the person he'd been in the prior 86 years. Once they knew more I think some of them gave him better care than they had been. I'll be interested to watch it. Lynn

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:47 pm

lynn.. if it does nothing more than raise awareness.. i'll be happy..... luckily the gp was very aware and sent us down a good path..the hallucinations were the key giveaway to him... a few of the neurologists .. were certain it was ad... .. still not sure whos right.. but i think im seeing more and more lewy symptoms, than ad...

bayou.. i realize you are concerned.. i hope in this for instance your worry is for nothing and this helps more than hurts... everything we can do to bring this to the forefront, for others.. will be helpful.. story line be darned... please take care!!

cindi

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:31 pm

I get it.

I do, but from a different direction.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:48 am

I agree with Craig about the Chicago politics (I live in Illinois). Just what we need. Hopefully they will be sensitive about using LBD as a character issue. If anyone could pull it off, it is Kelsey Grammar. Still, I don't think this is something I would encourage my MIL to watch, even though she NEVER accepted her diagnosis.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:27 am

I wouldn't have encouraged my dad to watch it either. But, for people who have undiagnosed LOs who have or possibly have LBD, it might be very helpful. If it raises awareness about (a) the existence of LBD (b) some of the symptoms (c) some of the treatments (d) some ways of coping and helping a person with LBD, that would have been really helpful to me a few years ago. I hope it does a good job of educating people about the disease. Maybe it would even help donations, funding, etc. for LBDA and other researchers. Lynn

Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:37 pm

I, too, agree with Craig. I just don't see how they can honestly portray Lewy in a show that would be interesting to viewers without cherry-picking certain symptoms to define the character, his actions and his intentions. Heaven forbid they make him untrustworthy, or even worse-- bumbly humorous!! In that instance, wrong information about LBD is much worse than no information at all. Especially, since this might be the only oportunity many people have to learn about it...unless it strikes close to home. Hopeful, but still skeptical. Kathy

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:03 pm

I clued my Uncle Jim into this show. He's going to try to get a PSA at the end of the show. I hope he's successful.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Anyone know if this will be a serious drama, or something else?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:56 pm

I found my answer; this will be a drama. I searched the TV Guide website after one of the above posts wrote that the show was mentioned in one of the issues. Attached is a link the website which has a short article and a clip or two. Although this could be a good venue to get out information, I have my doubts and, from the content in the clips, I don't think I could stomach watching the show - but that's me.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/boss/328775

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next