View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Gotta Plan? 

Post Gotta Plan?
This topic is for those who, like me, have no children or grandchildren to take care of us, take us in, whatever. I’ve been thinking all along this LBD journey about what I need to do, with no satisfactory answers to date. Such as, probably most importantly, to whom do I give my POA? Several recent posts show the need to plan, such as the aunt with hallucinations, and the discussion on strategies to maintain financial independence.

Any thoughts? Is this a useful topic?

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Post Re: Gotta Plan?
I think this is an important topic!

Two close friends are my healthcare POA (one is primary, one is secondary). A bank will be hired to be the financial POA.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:04 pm

If I didn't have children (no grandchildren yet) I suppose I'd talk with several of my best friends, and choose one of them to be my medical POA and financial POA. I'd make sure they were compensated for any of their time they spent exercising these responsibilities, just like I will lay all this out for my sons. I want to make sure that whomever has to take on these responsibilities will receive a reasonable compensation for their time and energy. Lynn

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:16 pm

I think community is so important. If you don't have a lot of family, see what you can do to make "family" out of friends and extended family (it might be a good time to get to know that niece you don't know very well). It may still be wise to hire a professional for the Financial POA and/or to help you plan how to use your assets for your future. It seems to me it would also be important to find someone you have a personal connection with to handle your Medical POA. My sister and I are having to do so much personal advocating for my mother. It is hard to imagine her getting the things she needed without someone who cares personally and is making sure that her care is the best it can be. Finding someone you could trust and that has a personal connection to you would be nice. I think it is so dangerous, being a care giver. One can get isolated so easily. Take care of yourself too -

Liz

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]