View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 drawing and art 

Post Re: drawing and art
Contour drawing is when you look at something, like objects in the room, a person's face, a still life stetup, whatever, and you start drawing and never take your pencil or pen off the paper till the drawing is finished. So basically your drawing is one line, where everything is connected. It's an interesting and fun exercise. Sometimes people take a contour drawing and then paint the shapes defined by the line. Let me know if you do it and what you think of the process. It isn't something I do a lot, but it's a good exercise in observation as well as drawing.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Craig..... :lol:

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:07 pm

Lynn,
Thanks on the contour drawing sounds interesting...I didn't draw last night - I got too tired...will try today though....Got all my stuff out waiting for me....need to remember the music to get me going....

Thanks again!!
Kathy

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Tonya - keep us posted on how your art is going. I think you'll find it relaxing and rewarding, especially if you do put on music that you love. Have fun - that's what art is all about! Lynn

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Tonya: Check out the small Octopus flexible camera tripod. You can bend the legs all different ways and make it grip pretty much anything. Should be inexpensive. It's cute.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain--Very informative and worth reading, but learning how to do it has to be done in a class with a certified instructor. The before and after portraits are for real. Alas, I didn't keep up with drawing, but any and all instruction teaches you something.

Gail

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Lynn, all,

Sorry to disappoint...I think I do not have the fine motor skills for drawing anymore....gave it a try....can't hold hand steady or remember quite how to do it....might be a little late in the game for art anymore....Sorry I am having a mood swing today and am disappointed in addition....maybe the photography will hold out......Thanks to everyone for all their encouragement...Maybe I'l try again at a different time of the day or a different day - you know all the fluctuations.....I won't give up completely....I try not to ever close doors completely shut....

Best wishes,

Tonya

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:51 pm

If you feel up to it, Tonya, maybe trying to paint with large brushes would work better for you. When I paint I try to paint with my whole arm & upper body, until I get to any details which go in last-minute. Using larger muscle groups might be a lot easier for you. Or, you may want to try vine charcoal, conte crayon, large makers or pastels, where fine muscle coordination is not as important as when you are drawing with pencils. If it's too frustrating, I'm sure you can find something else to do and get back to it when you feel motivated and positive. When I'm having a bad day, I can't paint. I just waste expensive paper, so I leave it till I'm in the mood to paint.
I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Lynn

Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Well no real art today, but I did thread a needle without a threader! and hemmed part of skirt where the hem was falling out! So that is progress... Took a few photos....Will try the broader movements for the art again soon....thanks all....It felt really good to sew again - even just a little - running the needle through fabric by hand....Stitches weren't even but who cares! :P May try embroidery again too...I did buy a magnifying LCD floor lamp for that and it helps a lot.....I tried it a couple of times......might try again....

I think I could try something with pastels..have the chalk and paper....not sure where to go from there - perhaps something abstract....many of my photos are actually abstract...I like micro photos...or I guess it's photos with a macro lens...closeups...of the very fine details to the point you can't tell what it is anymore...

Thanks all...better mood today....I think adjusting to namenda dose changes is affecting my moods and fatigue.....also has anyone done studies on perimenopause and LBD?? I guess there's not that many of us dealing with that....oy.....

Hope you are all having a good day!

Best,
Tonya

Attachments:
Scanned Image 9.jpg
Scanned Image 9.jpg [ 125.49 KiB | Viewed 4962 times ]

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:19 pm

Ooh, love the graphic thorn thing.

Pastels--there are lots of free tutorials on the internet for art stuff. Only problem, a lot of them are very amateurish.

Gail

Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:33 pm

Tonya - have you had any luck with your art? Doing any more photography?
I am working on a painting for a show where one of the topics is "Just Glass". What a daunting subject for me! I have a collection of antique miniature bottles I collected back in high school and college. They are the subject of my painting. Don't know how it will turn out, but hey, sometimes you just have to push yourself. The other topic is "food" and I have lots of ideas for that but am pushing the envelope on the time.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi Lynn, others,

No more luck with art....I am still increasing Namenda and side effects could be an issue too.....but still taking pictures at times at least...I won't give up and I always have my music.....I will try again after some of the "transient side effects" from the Namenda pass.....fatigue, confusion, dizziness, - fatigue being the worst since I don't really sleep either......

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:21 pm

If you can do some photography when you feel up to it, that would be fantastic! I hope you are feeling better soon with the med changes. I'm working on a watercolor painting of antique glass bottles and it is a real challenge. I almost never have painted glass before but am doing it for a show that has glass as one of its themes. Wish me luck! I'll need it! LOL Lynn

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:13 pm

Will be working on a painting in memory of my friend and former coworker, E.I.B, who died tragically in a car accident several days ago. I will give it to her family when it is finished and will post a photo of it here if anyone is interested. She and I shared a love of gardening, among other things, swapped plants and she purchased several of my paintings in years past. I'm hoping that the process of getting this painting done will make me feel less sad that the world has lost, way to soon, a very vibrant, lively and visionary woman who gave so much to the world.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Lynn,
So very sorry for your loss....what a lovely way to remember her with your painting........I would love to see it if you feel like sharing it.......

Take care,

Tonya

Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:35 am

Thank you Tonya. I've been thinking about this all night and I will probably do a painting inspired by her for each of her kids and one for her husband. She was such a strong, strong woman and lit up every room she ever entered with her infectious laugh and her larger-than-life presence. I better get to work - now I have 3 paintings to do instead of one! :lol: Lynn

Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next