View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Financial considerations from moment of diagnosis 

Post Re: Financial considerations from moment of diagnosis
how my fortunes have changed in the last year…

instead of an offer to lend half a million or such….

today in the mail….

I received a bonafide offer to lend me…..as much as….

$265…………two hundred and sixty five dollars…..

I have arrived….

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:36 pm

BayouCajun:How are you doing now? Do not take NO from the VA. You can get a lot of help from them but regretfully you have t o fight for it. They have no way of proving that LBD is not service connected. I have had to go to my congressman to get my wife benefits that she earned. Please listen to all the above posts and go for what you deserve. You served during Vietnam and earned benefits. The fact you were not in counry makes no difference. You still served. I am a Navy Veteran of 20 years and served during Viet Nam. I was a Radioman and copied Morse Code on the Ship. The Va turned me down for a hearing loss becasue it wasn't enough. I think they want me to have no hearing. I gave up on that but have been trying to get all the benefits for my wife.

Keep fighting! Don't give up :lol:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:00 pm

do keep fighting.. we are in our 3rd year and they have given some.. but not what is right.. my hubby has ptsd.. and its really bad.. he was in country and he was at mai lai.. and he was bombed every night he was there.. in 68 and 69... his tent blown up three times..and he slept most nights in the bunkers because of the bombings... he was also point man ..and he was sprayed with agent orange daily. they offered him 10%.. they are offering 10 % to the folks that were stateside and were concerned/ and scared, about going over to vietnam. and never went!!. its ridiculous.. these guys and gals fought once and it changed their lives forever!!. and now they have to fight and relieve it all again for someone, who in some cases, have never been there, to turn them down!!

i have many articles on ptsd and Alzheimers.. to fight that claim... but now they are saying it might be lewy body... does any one have anything on lewy body and agent orange or ptsd??

thank you,
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:26 pm

Cindi,

Is the VA saying your husband has Lewy Body Disease or Lewy Body Dementia? Lewy Body Disease = Parkinson's Disease. And there's a lot about Agent Orange and Parkinson's Disease.

Here's a VA website on Agent Orange:
http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/

If the VA is saying your husband has Lewy Body Dementia, you should clarify if this is Dementia with Lewy Bodies (which is still a Lewy Body Disease but not considered Parkinson's Disease) or Parkinson's Disease Dementia (which is Parkinson's Disease).

On brain autopsy, there's no such thing as "Lewy Body Dementia" or "Parkinson's Disease." It's all Lewy Body Disease.

So, if the VA says that agent orange causes Lewy body disease, then you should have a good argument.

Robin

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:32 pm

PS to Cindi - In the past, I think you've used the EMAIL button to send me email. The EMAIL button hasn't worked for a couple of months now. You can find my email address in a couple of places online.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:34 pm

robin, at this point they are saying lewy body.. and basing that on the hallucinations only. at this point!!.. 6 months ago it was Alzheimers for sure, they said .. and that is the va hospital and gero phys..... i will have them clarify on the next visit, what type!!.. thank you!!

i have lots of paper work on the Alzheimer' and ptsd.. and lots of folks fighting for alzhiemers and agent orange and as far as i know, that is not yet accepted by the va...i have nothing on how lewy body, and its correlation to agent orange or ptsd.. they are watching him for parkinsons at this time..... as he has been falling, .. but nothing conclusive at this point!! i have found alot of literature on parkinsons and agent orange and how they are finally accepting that, as an agent orange condition.. but until he shows signs of parkinsons.. its feels like im stuck, in trying to help him...

i think i have your email on another matter, ill check... thank you again for your kindness

cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:35 pm

another busy week…

got verbal approval for SS claim…not in writing yet….they say it is in payment processing review…

got fourth foreclosure postponement…trying to do a short sale….can't invest much more of me into this….ready to say…..I don't care…but I can't…

need to start VA stuff….so much stuff to do...

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:34 am

Don't give up now Craig - You've fought the good fight - keep fighting it. You are an inspiration,
Ger xxxx

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:39 pm

it has to feel good to accomplish what you have!!! way to go!!.. a few down, a few to go.. you are on your way.. out here the foreclosures are a crazy.. most folks have been living in them for months, if not years, with no payments to the lender... the banks are over whelmed. some, way more than others... good luck.. we are behind you!!
cindi

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Social Security written award letter received….

awarded back to last day of work…

which is great news for future insurance needs when my cobra eligiblity runs out…

then medicare will kick in…

so no extra money with the award right now…..but extremely necesarry.

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:36 pm

HooRay! It is so good to get these necessary items completed.

Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:07 pm

Yay!!!

It's so hard to wait for the response, isn't it. You never know if or what would disqualify you or whether you are going to be asked for another piece of information. - Maybe your kindergarten report card....

I'm so glad for you. That's one major hurdle you've gotten over.

Kate

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:38 pm

I am trying to figure out where to start in this huge web of financial and legal issues that I must untangle. My MIL moved in with us in March. She is a widow and receives Social Security. She has LBD and still does "most" Daily Living things for herself. She can't cook or do laundry and most certainly cannot handle her finances. She gets confused sometimes what level of the house she's on, (we are in a tri level) whether she should go up or go down to get to where she wants to be. But she figures it out pretty quickly. She has delusions, and is very accusatory. I said all of that to say, in some things, she's okay. But in others, very NOT okay. I'm not sure where to begin. We really can't afford an attorney at the moment but yet I know we need to get some things established legally. We handle her money for her but yet, she wants to do it herself and get's very angry about it. I know her anger will not change if we are legally her gaurdian but at least I can be at peace that we are legal. If we are made her legal gaurdian, does that mean we are financialy responsible for her? Will all of the financial burden fall on us? We want to do the right thing but not to our own financial doom.
Also, where do i begin for the inevetible NHF? I am sooooo not good with insurance stuff. She has Medicare, but no Long Term Health Care insurance. Do I apply for Medicaid for her too. Will that pay for a NH or will we have to pay out of pocket?
I'm sorry for the long explanation and many questions. I just want to get things going and have a plan. I know some things you have to take day by day. But the more I can be prepared for, the better. ANY advice would be very much appreciated.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:10 pm

If the medical and legal powers of atty. are not already written and signed, RUN, don't walk, to an atty. and get that taken care of yesterday! Her cognition could get much worse, literally overnight, and she needs someone who does not have a neuro. disorder to take over. Having POA has nothing to do with you being obligated to spend your own assets.
To receive Medicaid, a person has to have less than $2,000, not including a house and I think 1 car. So, many people who are now receiving Medicaid have had to "spend down" all their assets to $2,000.
In some states there are asst'd living facilities that will take Medicaid patients. Many do not, including the state I live in and the state where my dad lived (or if there are any, I don't know of those).
If your LO is eligible for VA benefits, you should contact a VA person who helps families in this sort of situation. The VA doesn't pay anything towards LTC if you have more than $80,000 in assets, so again, your LO's assets would need to be spent down to $79,999 before the VA will help out.
It's never too early to start looking for an ALF or SNF just in case you need that at some point. Better to be prepared than to have a huge and sudden decline and your LO isn't on a waiting list for your top choice(s). You may never need to move her, but just in case it's better to be prepared. BTDT!
Good luck! Lynn

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next