View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 States with Medicaid covered assisted living? 

Post States with Medicaid covered assisted living?
My mom (age 52) is not able to stay alone and even though she is relatively in the early stages, it is becoming increasing difficult to care for her because of constant delusions/hallucinations. I have 2 small children and we are unable to leave the house because of my mom's problems. My oldest child (age 3) is frightened by all this as well. He doesn't understand and believes that "people are breaking in." I try so hard to calm my mom, but nothing including meds seem to help. I would like to keep her at home, but it is beginning to disrupt my children's lives and I'm not really sure what to do.

So, back to my original question: Does anyone know which states provide Medicaid coverage of ALF? Alabama does not, but I've read where some states have a waiver for this. She/we can't afford to pay for this and although due to other medical conditions, she may qualify for a SNF, I don't think that is the right place for her for many reasons. My husband's job has the flexibility for us to move pretty much anywhere and I am looking for states that will give her the best oppurtunity to be in a decent facility.

Thanks!

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Post Re: States with Medicaid covered assisted living?
This site will help. You have to enter the city and state and it will list the facilities and tell what payment systems they accept. I know some ALFs in AZ accept Medicaid as well as some here in WA. I think it's more of a facility issue than a state issue. http://www.snapforseniors.com/Housing/AssistedLiving.aspx

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Thank you for the site. I will check it out for specific ALF that accept Medicaid. From the research I've done so far, which is minimal, it looks like 13 state Medicaid programs will cover all or a portion of ALF. We may be headed to WA at some point (Seattle/Redmond area). Thanks again for the site.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:47 am

Like Pat said, sometimes it's not a state issue, it's a matter of the policy of the facility. I don't know of any facility around where I live or where my dad lived that accepted Medicaid. All the ones I personally know of in Vermont and Maryland are private pay, and they bill the patient (or their family) and do not accept $ from insurance or any other orgs. You have to pay them directly with a personal check. I hope you have some luck finding a place that will meet your needs. It's hard! Lynn

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Thank you! Yes, you are both right....it is so complicated to first find a state program that covers it and then find a facility that will actually accept Medicaid. I'm sure the reimbursement from Medicaid is much lower than private pay, so I can understand facilities not wanting to accept it.

I have found a couple of places in GA and WA though. There is a waiting list and I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, but I want to be prepared for anything.

Thanks again for the responses!

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Bear in mind that, while most ALFs do not take Medicaid, most SNFs do.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:55 pm

I don't think it's ever too soon to check all this stuff out and get on waiting lists. My observation with neurological diseases has been that things can go haywire overnight, and physical as well as mental conditions can change in no time at all.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:50 am

Yes. Check things out and get on several waiting lists ASAP. It could take years to get a spot. And the Medicare site is where I went to select the waiting lists I wanted Mom on. Look especially at RN, LPN and aide hours per patient. Also the health records. You don't want to select a residence that has had a large number of infections.

Oops. That's long term care, but I assume the same things should be looked at for assisted living. Also talk with them about transitions from ALF to a dementia unit, when that time comes. Do they have a dementia unit? Do residents usually transfer easily into the unit or are there so few openings that they send the resident to another facility?

In our search, we found that the secular, private, facilities took very few Medicaid, or Elderly Waiver, applicants. If they did accept anyone on assistance, they only took a very few and those spots were usually taken by people who had been private-pay for at least a year or two. I found that those supported by religious organizations were much more accepting. We are Methodist, but my mom is in a Catholic residence. And I suspect that the Shalom Home would have accepted her as well. Also, even if you are far down on a waiting list, if there is a medical crisis, ask the hospital social worker to help you get moved up on the waiting list. Just like in an emergency room, those with greater need get helped first.

In Minnesota, we have enjoyed a fairly supportive Medical Assistance (Medicaid) program. There is, however, a strong push in our legislature to cut funding to a point at which people will be turned away. It might behoove us all to check what is happening in our own political arenas to funding for this and related programs.

One thing I learned the hard way. If you are in need of help, start at the county level. They often have staff to help you thread through state and federal programs and they are more likely to see you as a family, rather than a number. (I made this mistake with VA applications.)

Good luck.

Katelu

Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]