View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 How to keep LO occupied or entertained 

Post Re: How to keep LO occupied or entertained
The dementia ALF where my husband is hired an activity director. She got him to play bingo with her, looking for and finding the numbers. He then spent a long time sitting at a table writing numbers on paper. He dealt with numbers as a business man, but not in the sense of an accountant or engineer.

The women were fussing over baby dolls.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:11 pm

When I first read this Gail I thought, wow -- what a challenging job activity directors have in a memory unit! And then I realized that activity director is just one of the many hats we caregivers wear. Yup, it is a challenging job!

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:47 am

gailshef wrote:
He then spent a long time sitting at a table writing numbers on paper.
I'm finding the last writing Dale was able to do so touching now because he can't write anymore. On one tablet, he wrote an unfinished love note to me ...but he never gave it to me. It was for New Years... and it is addressed to 'the girl of my dreams.'

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:20 am

Yesterday was our 49th anniversary and I asked Frank if he'd like to do something special. The look in his eyes and his smile told me I'd better get out of the bedroom and back into the kitchen. We did go out to lunch but on the way home I asked if he enjoyed it and he said it was OK but was disappointed that, on our anniversary, I wouldn't sit with him and have lunch, I had the other one stay. :cry: It did break up his day and the kids came out for dinner so it was a nice ending to the day. We all keep trying, there's nothing else we can do.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:33 am

Congratulations on 49 years, Gerry.

Our last restaurant outing was in December with friends. I had little idea then that it would be our last. Dale is entertaining himself these days by having conversations with his memories. Understanding what he is saying is a challenge. Yes, we do the best we can.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:38 am

Congratulations, Gerry! :P

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:37 am

Congrats, Gerry!

Leone, you and Dale seem so romantic! I'd treasure something like that forever, too. I hope it helps you get through these days. He sounds like he's been a man well worth committing to.

Kate

Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:19 am

When I am at the SNF with Mom, one of the most beautiful things I see is couples who obviously have years of marriage shared. They are so kind and loving to each other. As a person who never married and whose father died before my parents 25th anniversary, I am amazed by marriage and by enduring marriage. I think an aging couple is one of the most beautiful sites in the world.

All of you who have stood by your man or woman for better or worse are an inspiration. Every time I read your notes about your spouses I am grateful that such relationships exist. You are not only blessed, you are blessings.

Kate

Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:26 am

Hello friends,
My husband's brother recently brought over one of those electric picture frames that cycles through photos on a continuous loop. I placed it on the table where my husband sits to work on his "financials"--play money, old business cards, pocket calendar,etc. It has many(HAPPY) family photos from all stages of Tom's life. At first he barely glanced at it. Now he talks-gibberish- to it (rather to the people and scenes depicted) sometimes laughs at forgotten inner memories, and frequently can identify distant relatives or friends when I ask. He's totally content to sit there for hours, if I would let him.
My question is...should I let him? Of course I get him up just to walk around and try to interest him in other things, but he can't read, write, do puzzles, or focus very long on TV shows. I know many of you use photo albums to capture your LO's attention for short periods. I'm wondering if the fact that these photos cycle at certain timed intervals somehow resonates within Tom's brain and also cycles his delusions. Or should I try to keep him more in the present?
Any thoughts? Kathy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:25 pm

I don't know, but it sounds to me like a pleasant way to spend time. His present isn't exactly a bundle of joy right now, is it? I'm not sure what the benefit of trying to keep him more in the present would be. Yes, get him up for some walking, for meals, etc. But I think his brother came up with a winner.

I'll be interested to hear what other caregivers think.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:41 pm

Kathy,

I've been thinking of getting Mom one of those for over a year and just haven't gotten around to it. When she was at home, we had a desktop computer that had its screen saver cycle through photos. It was in the TV room and Mom watched it (the computer screen) more than she watched the TV!

I think these things are, for people with dementia, the best thing since sliced bread. Even if they can't tell you who the people are, the cycled pictures keep faces in front of your LO and, I think, helps him recognize people when he sees them. And the idea of using pictures throughout his life is great. They might even remind him that he has a life.

Kudos to your brother in law.

Kate

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:26 pm

JeanneG wrote:
I don't know, but it sounds to me like a pleasant way to spend time. His present isn't exactly a bundle of joy right now, is it? I'm not sure what the benefit of trying to keep him more in the present would be. Yes, get him up for some walking, for meals, etc. But I think his brother came up with a winner.

I'll be interested to hear what other caregivers think.

Jeanne, I think you're spot on! Why stay in the present when it's not a happy place?

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Kathy,
What a wonderful gift for your husband! I say let him enjoy it 7x24, if that's his wish.
Robin

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 pm

This is what I got for my mom for Christmas. Not much entertains her anymore, but I thought this might hold her interest. She can't get up the stairs in my home anymore, but before she got this bad, I'd have her over for dinner sometimes, and I'd give her a photo album to keep her busy so she wouldn't try to "help" me cook. I also want this in her room at the care facility so that her caregivers can get a glimpse of who she really is through the rotating photos.

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:39 pm

i just saw on tv, that pat stevens the girls basket ball coach has early Alzheimers... she was playing with a simon, the kids game for memory.... she said it was recommended for her by docs.. wish she had named some more items, but that was the only one!! i was thinking of that as a good gift for hubby for christamas.. has any one tried it????
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next