View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Important Notice for Gmail Users 
Site Admin

Post Important Notice for Gmail Users
For the past few days we've experienced very high volume of spam attempts, and a significant portion of those have been from Gmail addresses. Therefore, we have temporarily banned Gmail users from registering on the forum. This will not affect Gmail users who already have a forum account.

If you are a Gmail user and would like to create a new forum account, please e-mail forum@lbda.org and we will help you set up your account. I apologize for the inconvenience - please let us know if you have questions or need help.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:14 am

Post Re: Important Notice for Gmail Users
I'm a gmail user. Obviously I've had an account set up. Now I find that I am locked out of participating on the forums on one of my computers, but can login just fine on this one. The drawback is that means I cannot participate during the day, when this machine is tied remotly to my workplace. When I tried requesting a new password from the other machine the message didn't recognize my email address.

Could this possibly have anything to do with being a gmail user?

The reason I'm posting here is that I haven't gotten a reply to two emails I sent, and I'm wondering if they got lost in cyberspace, or rejected because of the gmail source, too.

Anything you can do to restore my daytime use of the forums would be appreciated!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Jeannie,
Did you send the 2 e-mails to the forums or elsewhere ? According to what Matt wrote earlier on it should not have effected you if you already had an account, he will reply to this !

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:13 pm
Profile WWW

Jeanne,
Sounds like a corporate firewall problem.
Robin

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Irene, I sent the emails to the forum. Matt has now answered me. Maybe I was a little too impatient. I was just worried they'd gotten rejected or lost somehow. I've explained the issue and he is looking in to it.

Robin, would that be a firewall on my machine? Would switching carriers have changed my firewall situation?

I hope this can get resolved!

Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:37 am

Jeanne,
Thanks for letting me know as I didn't see anything in a for of a reply from him thinking he had not see it yet, He will get it resoved if he can !

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:42 am
Profile WWW

I think firewall software is usually on a host machine or server.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Just a little reminder - much of the background work done at LBDA is done by volunteers who are very committed to helping out, but this is a job they fit in "in their spare time." So, if you don't get a response right away, please try to be patient. Your volunteer helper is probably busy fulfilling their other commitments and will get back to you as soon as they can. Lynn

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks Lynn,
Very important point, I know for a fact many of us work behind the scenes trying to get issues resolved!

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:14 pm
Profile WWW

A firewall can work for a single, freestanding computer or an entire organization through its server(s). It sounds like Jeanne's access issue was at work, where her employer more than likely has a firewall.

Julianne

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Not exactly, Julianne. I work from home. I have one computer from which I access my work computer (about 18 miles away). I never use that connection for personal internet access. When I am not using the remote connection, my access to the forums from that machine works just fine, as it always has.

I keep another computer running on my desk at home. It is never connected to a corporate server. I use it for personal things, such as the forums and personal email. That is the one that suddenly locks me out and can't find my email address on the lbda list.

Matt is looking into this. I sent my email on Monday afternoon, and he replied on Wednesday. I think that is decent turnaround. I wasn't so much impatient as I was worried that I wasn't getting through.

I'll just continue to wait until I'm not connected to the work server, and use the machine that works, for now.

Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]