View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 How to keep LO occupied or entertained 

Post Re: How to keep LO occupied or entertained
Tonight, Dale told me while I was getting him ready for bed that he had enjoyed the day. I thought he was going to say something nice about the physical therapist who walked him all around the house.

No, he needed to tell me that he flew to California and visited his cousin today. His cousin found his lost wallet and that was good. And, finally, his fishing pole line was tangled but they managed to untangle it.

I don't think Dale needs to be entertained. He has really enjoyed today. He is now sleeping peacefully. I was glad he had such a good day.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Dale really gets around! I hope he gets frequent flier miles! :P

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Leone, you tell the best stories about Dale. You are right, he seems happy in his mind travels. See, there you are at home and he is flying about having a grand ole time. You are right he does not need outside entertainment. :P Bernie

Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Julianne wrote:
She is really bored in the SNF and I think her lack of entertainment gives her too much time to obsess over things.
Their 'obsession' will not go away. In fact, it will get much worse.

Even with Dale's fantasy life, the trauma and drama of it is real to him. There is nothing I can do for him except continuously remind him that he is safe and that I love him. I've come to the conclusion that nothing physical can be provided that will occupy him .... except food. Even that is sometimes an annoyance rather than pleasure for him. At dinner last night, I had a hard time getting him to open his mouth. The message just wasn't getting through. In fact, he just looked at me puzzled. Eating must have been secondary to what he was thinking.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 am

Leone: Their 'obsession' will not go away. In fact, it will get much worse.
That is pretty harsh, Leone. I'm not questioning your conclusions regarding Dale. And the disease does indeed get worse. But it doesn't take the same path for everyone. Julianne's conclusion is that for where her mother is at right now, diversions might be helpful. She is asking for suggestions. I respect her judgment about her loved one, just as I respect yours about Dale. One size does not fit all. Julianne is entitled to try on a few different sizes to see if any fit her mother. Pointing out that ultimately it is hopeless, that we can't stop the disease process, doesn't seem very helpful at this point.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 am

Dale and my mother have one thing in common, which is that food is a primary source of pleasure. In order to provide her more enjoyment, I ask her every week what snacks she would like me to get for her at the grocery store. She likes cookies and chocolate the best. I have tried fruit and grape tomatoes, which she enjoyed months ago but now doesn't want. It's getting down to sweets. It's fine with me, as she still eats her meals, her weight remains stable and most of her teeth are false, so she can't ruin those!

Something else came up this week. She tried doing a little bit of pencil sketching, which she hadn't done for months, but she wasn't happy with the results. She tried to draw a dog and it came out looking like a deer, and she was frustrated. So we are going to get her a photo book of animals might be good so that she can have animal models to draw from. I hope that she will continue to try, though her drawing skills are nothing like they used to be.

Julianne

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:12 am

Derek could never be distracted or diverted from a strong delusion. He is focused and relentless until it plays itself out. While I'm sure there are LBD cases that respond to distraction it seems to be more successful with AD--maybe because in AD they forget about it after a short time. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! :lol:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:23 am

If your LO is in a facility of some kind, be sure they have a therapy dog/animal visit regularly. Unless your LO is indifferent to animals, that is a really good thing.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:08 pm

My perspective is not limited to Dale. My mother (104) died in September following 4 years of dementia. She would insist my father was 'running around.' Dad died in 2002.

Dale has been riding in an airplane for a week now. However, just a few minutes ago he said his butt was stuck in cement. Earlier, he said the window blinds were hurting his legs. About a week ago, he tried to write something and became so frustrated that he broke the pencil in two. I don't think we'll try that again.

Diverting Dale from delusions at this stage is impossible. He no longer lives in the real world. Getting him to eat breakfast was a challenge. He doesn't understand how to open his mouth about half the time. He just looks at me and grins.

It occurs to me now that Dale pretty much 'entertained' himself for most of his illness. He enjoyed reading, watching sports, and even exercising in his gym up until November, 2010. He even helped me empty the dishwasher. I never needed to provide 'entertainment' for him. However, he suddenly became very delusional at the end of November and has remained that way since. He became unable to sit up, stand, and needed a wheelchair. It all happened very fast!

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:15 pm

Good point about pet/therapy dog/animal visits. My dog was unable to go with me to the SNF for a few months before he died last month but my mother, an animal lover, really enjoyed it when I brought him over. I don't believe there are any therapy dog visits at the SNF, so she has missed seeing my dog. However, in a couple of months, I will get a new puppy, so I can resume dog visits for her. I'm sure it will be a treat.

Julianne

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Mockturtle, I have to agree, once Fran starts having delusions he too has to play it out, no matter how I try to distract or divert his attention. What amazes me is that he is so focused on his delsusions, but cannot focus in reality. Bernie

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:26 pm

This post thread ties in beautifully with the video Robin posted today. I found it very interesting that the woman in the video played with the roll of paper towels and a spoon. As I said in another post, they are like children and will play with the box rather than the toy.

And yes, Bernie, once Dale makes up his mind that he has to be on a airplane - or whatever, that thought stays for days. He is still focused on that delusion.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Frank and I went for a longer walk than usual, maybe 1 1/2 miles. He walked much faster than normal, I had trouble keeping up with him. As we started up our street, he started going faster and then start running, I could not catch up with him. He passed our house so I watched to see if he turned the corner, I was going to get the keys to the car and go after him, he turn around before the end of the street. He continued to walk very fast into neighbor's driveways, looked around and headed in another direction. I finally got him to the porch stairs and he collapsed, with a lot of coaching, he crawled to the door and I was able to get him into the den where he napped for over an hour. I'm not sure what happened, but I think I'll keep our walks down to the 1mile.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:26 am

You're still walking together and that's a wonderful thing, Gerry!

Something I've observed about games at the SNF. I've sat with Mom through Bingo and some of the word or reminiscence games. I was shocked to see that Mom didn't know her numbers. This is true of most of the Bingo players in her group. Usually, though, there are other "helpful" players that are only too happy to tell those hesitant ones what to do.

Mom has a book in her room, but I'm pretty sure she can't read anymore. When I bring her magazines now, they are mostly pictures. Mom's abilities are declining fast. We haven't even opened some of the puzzles I've gotten her and I'm sure they are beyond her now. I suppose I'll donate them to the activities director.

But I've noticed the thing about winding up ribbon and such, too. Mom was also a sewer and a quilter. I've thought about getting her a bunch of fabric squares of different colors and textures. She likes to sort things. She's always asking for my purse and goes through it to find out what I have in it. So maybe little sacks of trinkets would be good. Though I won't bring Mom's good jewelry to the SNF, I have brought some of her costume jewelry and she occasionally sorts through it.

I get the feeling that anything that is colorful, has texture and is hidden in some sort of box, sack or purse gets her attention.

It's hard to remember that her cognitive age is going down fast and things that I find simple or interesting are too complicated for her and so won't keep her attention. But that's the situation. I suspect we are fast entering the Fisher-Price stage.

Kate

Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Kate, that's an interesting thought about fabric squares. It's something that wouldn't seem childish. I need to dig through my fabric and trim scraps (I'm also a seamstress and quilter when I have time, which these days is never) and find some sorting material.

My mother can't work the TV remote anymore and I think it is because she is having trouble with the numbers (though heaven knows she can still dial the phone!). Reading is out, too. I don't even know if her attention span and cognitive ability allow her to get much out of TV. She has called me several times and told me something terrible was going on (in the world), unable to describe it. She tries to watch her favorite old political shows but I don't think she can understand the content anymore, or if she understands it, she can't describe it to me.

Julianne

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next