View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Cleaning Out the Old Homestead 

Post Re: Cleaning Out the Old Homestead
I'll have to put the fox hat and the mink scarf/boa on at the same time and get a photo. I'll put in on my FB account. Will let you know when that happens. I'm sure I'll look QUITE elegant. 8)

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Hope they don't have fleas! :lol:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:23 pm

... or mites! My cousin came today and strongly urged me to where the dead minks chasing each other around my neck, after being grossed out just seeing the thing. :lol:
We knew my dad was a packrat, but after cleaning out more drawers and closets today, I just couldn't believe all the junk he stuffed into every cubic centimeter. We have bags and bags of trash and gave 2 vans full of stuff to friends today, and have already made many trips to the second hand shops with loaded cars.
Tomorrow the movers come to get the furniture going to VT. I will be so glad when tomorrow is over and we can maybe relax a little, just in time for the ice storm! Lynn

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:44 am

I hope not to do that to my kids. I make every effort to throw something away every time I acquire something new. It helps, too, that we moved just 1-1/2 years ago to a smaller house so I was forced to jettison a LOT of stuff. There's always too much stuff, though. It seems to multiply on its own, in the dark recesses of closets and drawers.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:05 am

I try to throw away at least a large trash basket of 'stuff' every day now. It just feels good to be symbolically getting rid of something... even if I can't get rid of Lewy.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:13 am

Lynn,

Sounds like you accomplished a lot in a short amount of time. My parents bought their house in 1955. Some say we lived in a neighborhood like in the Wonder Years. Many of the neighbors lived their adult lives and have now since passed. Our next door neighbor of 93 years passed the same evening as my mother!

My mother would not let me remove anything from her home although I did try to remove some of the valuables.

Talk about pack rats! My mom saved the scoops from laundry detergent boxs and empty and some full pill bottles. I literally removed several large garbage bags full.

Mom passed in Feb.2009 hired a moving company to empty her house and bring all of the stuff to my house. You should see my garage! We don't have basements or attics. I have been trying to rid my garage and have made some progress over the past two years. Lots and lots of trips to women shelters, and Good Will. I donated a truck to Shriners...Gave a travel trailor to friends,(which was full too)

I have many, many things from their past that I just cant get rid of. I too have the passports, minks, letters, notes, baby books, stamp collection etc. Sister has everything she wants. What do you do with your mother's wedding dress and hope chest???? Do you get rid of the Desert Rose china? So hard..... I have to say that this process has helped me grieve but sometimes I wonder if it is making moving on harder.

You made good progress Lynn. Good luck. Sharon E.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:04 pm

If it's original Desert Rose [Franciscan ware], it will fetch a good price on eBay. My mother has the Starburst, which I personally find hideous, but I guess it's also worth some money. I told her she should sell it, as I don't really want it and neither does my sister. I'm not into stuff like china any more--just use the Corelle that we used in our RV. Gave my Desert Rose to my daughter many years ago.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:26 pm

I (we) moved across the country, but I couldn't take my husband away from "his" house until the time was right, so we spent time in both places for a couple of years. He is now in ASL, so I have to deal with a lifetime of accumulated stuff of both of us. I will take very little back as it is so expensive. I am here now in the old house. Cleaning out our stuff is not as emotionally draining as I thought, possibly because there is so much emotion in dealing with Lewy that I don't have any left over.

For his stuff, when I think "oh, this is his Harris tweed jacket we bought in Scotland," then I say "big deal--if he miraculously comes back to life, we can buy him ten Harris tweeds." I also think of that task as being a widow-in-training.

As for the things I care about--some antique furniture, pictures, all that stuff you have collected over the years, I can pretty much say "we have phases in life and this one is over, gotta realize that and move on."

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 am

Cleaning out my dad's house has put a damper on my shopping interests. For the most part, I am not interested in buying more stuff, which is great in many ways. OK, there's the silver lining to the cloud of cleaning out my dad's house!
Various relatives got lots of stuff sent to them, from our mutual grand parents and great grand parents. I was glad to keep family stuff in the family as much as was possible. Now I have to deal with all the Army stuff accumulated in my dad's attic, but at least it's somewhere that doesn't have to be done immediately, thank goodness. I'll deal with that when I feel like it, and already have a 2 buyers lined up, as well as an Army museum.
Lynn

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:48 am

Lynn, I'm glad it had that effect on you! We all have way too much stuff! For several years I've made a point of getting rid of something every time I buy something new but we still have more stuff than we need. It's a burden and, as you have found, will be one to your children one day, as well. Thankfully, we have moved quite a bit and have shed stuff each time. I shudder to think what we'd have if we'd stayed in one place!

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2