View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Which team 

Post Re: Which team
I for one have always been happy to stand up and say that anyone (gender doesn't matter) who has to grab their crotch in front of anyone is showing disgusting behavior. When did that become acceptable? When my kids played football in HS I told them in no uncertain terms that any of that kind of gross, macho behavior would get them in a lot of hot water when they got back home. For me, there's no reason or excuse, male, female, androgenous. Lynn

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:49 am

And I'll bet they turned out fine, Lynn, no damaged psyches from stifling their freedom of expression. I grew up hearing, "Don't do anything in town to embarrass your father," and I survived!

Yesterday afternoon, thousands of members of the Packer Nation stood outside in frigid temperatures (8 degrees, minus 7 with wind chill) for an hour to see the victory celebration at Lambeau in Green Bay. Only in the frozen North, I guess!

Julianne

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Julianne wrote:
"Don't do anything in town to embarrass your father,"
That sort of quotation has been in my family for generations. It was 'Never forget that you are a [family name].' In other words, the family honor was at stake. I think that sort of pride in family is gone for most people. It's sad.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:43 pm

We weren't brought up with the family pride thing at all but we certainly were taught to do what was right whether anyone else was watching or not. We were very strictly raised and our behavior closely monitored. We were to display the same level of respect at home as we did away from home but, of course, we often didn't. Toward our parents, yes. Toward each other, well....;-)

Hate to get on the soapbox here but what appalls me nowadays is how young parents just turn their kids loose, in stores, campgrounds, restaurants, all kinds of public places.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:06 pm

I agree, Pat, it is shocking the way children are often turned loose in public places and the parents seem to expect everyone else around them to be charmed. It has ruined many a restaurant meal for us, for one thing.

We didn't have exactly a family pride thing, but my dad practiced law in town and my mother seemed to think we would do something awful to embarrass him. We were such boring kids, really--I cannot imagine where this concern came from. My sister and I thought it was pretty funny at the time, because we pretty much minded our manners whether anyone was watching or not.

Julianne

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Julianne wrote:
my dad practiced law in town and my mother seemed to think we would do something awful to embarrass him.
I'm smiling because my dad was a minister. I know what you mean. :roll:

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Oh dear, Leone, that had to be even harder!

Julianne

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 pm

Me, either, Pat. I think it was more of a generic comment .....male entertainers in general. All that touching of ones private areas was just starting than and it was quite surprising to see given the way we had grown up. I remember on the Ed Sullivan show they couldn't show the full Elvis because his movements were too sexual and he NEVER touched the package. I never watch sports so I have no idea what male entertainers do there. But I think it was just a send -up of the Roseanne kind. She pushed a lot of envelopes and not many of them were in good taste. The people who hired her must have had some idea she would do something like that. She couldn't sing so they surely knew she wouldn't play it straight. I think it is part of the schtick with the SB. Costume malfunctions, etc. Nan

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:05 pm

I think you're right, Nan. I didn't even start watching until the actual kickoff so I missed the mangled anthem this year. I ignore half time and commercials, too.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:41 pm

If you didn't see the Roseanne performance, google the video. The deliberate off-key screaming, uh, singing, was as offensive as the crotch grab and spit. Satire is fine, but the singing of the national anthem in a public venue comes with an obligation to do it in a respectful manner. Unlike other music, this one belongs to us. We can tolerate bad singing and missed words, but, in my opinion, not total and intentional disrespect. It screamed contempt.

While this is a minor and unimportant blip on anybody's scale, it does represent an attitude too prelevant in this country. Freedom (to perform any way she wants) should be coupled with responsibility.

How's that for a rant!

Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Well put, everyone! I agree with all you have said. If the national anthem doesn't deserve respect, what does?
In my house it was "don't do anything that you'd be embarassed to see on the front page of the newspaper." I took that to heart, and although I can't say I was a total angel, it probably kept me from doing some things. LOL Lynn

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 pm

I also totally agree, the National Anthem demands respect, Growing up we were taught that in our home, I also was taught to respect the Commander in Chief, no matter what, even if I don't always agree with some things doesn't give me the right to be disrespectful, I get so frustrated on open forums such as Facebook, the way people slam so many things.
The motto in our home with my children, think about it before you do if it is something you will get in trouble for if caught, don't do it !!

Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2