View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cleaning Out the Old Homestead 

Post Cleaning Out the Old Homestead
It is so odd to be dismantling my parents house which they built in 1952 and lived in most of their adult lives. What do you do with all the stuff? Most of the valuable things are going to relatives and friends, but it is so weird and sad having to deal with drivers' licenses, passports, eyeglasses, mom's needlework equipment, my dad's tools and other things that are not "worth" anything but seem like such personal items.
This is another lesson to me about cleaning out my stuff so my kids don't have to do it someday; not collecting anymore is another thing I hope I remember not to do!
I just donated my dad's wheelchair and some other items he needed in his last year to the American Legion, which lends medical equipment to members and their families. Even that was kind of sad since it was my dad's only means of transportation his last year and a half.
I will be glad to have this job all done by Mon. night and be on my way to the southwest. It is getting pretty depressing. Lynn

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Post Re: Cleaning Out the Old Homestead
It's nice of you to donate your dad's wheelchair to others!

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:42 pm

Even now, Lynn... with Dale's current essentials being a wheelchair, a urinal, bed baths, crushed pills, diapers, and cut up food in small portions, I'm also at the stage of packing up what he will never use again. I still can't part with his dancing shoes. It makes me cry to think about it.

My sister and I did it following my mothers death just a few months ago. She did it with her husband's death two years ago. I agree and sympathize with you. It's sad and very depressing.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Leone, I can't get rid of Derek's golf clubs for the same reason. :cry:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:08 pm

There are some things we just need to hold on to, and I think that's ok. My mom died 13 years ago, and today my husband said "I think it's time to clean off the top of your mom's dresser after all these years." Neither my dad, my sister nor I could go through the stuff before this. Can you imagine - 13 years? Most people would think we were crazy, but her death was so sudden and traumatizing. But, it is time to let go of many things.
I think I must have a drivers' license and passport fetish or something, because I cannot bring myself to throw those things out. I have saved them from other relatives too, and I'm thinking about making a memory collage out of those and some other family things that I just hate to put in a trash can.
Tomorrow one of my cousins is coming over and any of the family heirlooms from that side of the family that we don't want will go back to be shared among her and her 3 sisters and their kids. I hate to have family things that are nice end up in an antique store or junk shop.
Leone - I did start cleaning things out of here when my dad went into the hospital in summer 2009. I knew he would never be able to come home again. Thank goodness I did as much cleaning out as I did since then, because I don't know how we are going to get everything done between now and Tues. when we all leave here. (and the floor refinisher starts the next day!)
I think when we start moving the rest of the furniture out on Mon. it's really going to be traumatic, because the house will look so different on the inside. I am glad my sister is going to move in here. It would be really hard to say goodbye to our family home now too. Lynn

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Lynn,
Yes this is a hard time with dealing with parents treasures, I still can't part with a few of the things, like you say not worth anything but it was their personal items.

Donating the DME was great , at least someone will use them.

Soon this will be all behind you and you can start on your travels !
Good Luck!

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:06 pm
Profile WWW

The Legion didn't want some of the DME so I am wondering who else might want the rest of that stuff. Any ideas anyone?
We have taken carloads of towels, blankets, sheets, bedspreads to the animal shelter which the staff really appreciated. We've taken carloads of clothing and household items to Women in Need and another 2nd hand shop. I hate to throw decent things out so we are trying to donate as much as we can.
I did make myself laugh A LOT this afternoon when cleaning out clothes from a closet. In the bottom of an old garment bag was one of those mink scarves that women used to wear - you know where one poor mink is "biting" the one in front of it and there are about 5 minks that form a circle? My sister was in the same room and I was digging around the bottom of a dark closet and said "what the #$%^ is this thing? Then I screamed and threw it at her." She screamed and jumped about 5 feet backwards. I thought it was hilarious, and then did it again about 30 min. later with some other mink thing I found. We both laughed so hard and she says now I have paid her back for all the horrible things she did to me when we were kids. I think not. I still owe her BIG TIME. LOL :lol:

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Is there an Area Agency on Aging? They would know.

I always thought those mink stoles [or is that a mink 'boa'] were creepy. Maybe you should wear it, Lynn--start a new fashion. Of course, you'd have PETA after you... :lol:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:22 pm

Yes I like Pat's idea, I think you should wear it too !

DME : Have you tried any of the local churches, there's where I took some of it and another was the Lions club, for glasses and hearing aides !

Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:46 pm
Profile WWW

I saved my mother's driver license, passports and similar documents, too, even though there is no way she will ever need or want them. Of course, she is still living, but she doesn't want to look at family photos, let alone anything of her own history. But if I had found any of those mink stoles, I would have had no problem tossing them out!

The only positive thing about the house clean-out was that my sister and I spent several days together working on it, and after living thousands of miles apart for most of our adult lives, it was a nice bonding experience. So many things brought back nice memories.

Julianne

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 am

Schools could use some of the vintage clothing/accessories for stage productions.

drP

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:31 am

Lynn, you are in my thoughts.
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:39 am

Our COA has wheel chairs, walkers and the like to loan out, you check there.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:35 am

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Re: the mink items - my husband is allergic to fur and I don't believe in killing animals just to wear their fur. However, the Russian fox hat, the mink scarf, mink collar, etc. were purchased 40 - 50 years ago by my mother and sister. I think my friends would get a big laugh if I showed up in one of these ridiculous things, especially the scarf with minks biting each other. I am definitely going to wear that to something when I get home. I just hope I don't get attacked by anti-fur people, a pit bull or a wild animal! LOL

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:35 am

And Lynn, I simply must have a picture! :P

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next