View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Mom's been arrested 

Post Re: Mom's been arrested
Shame shame shame on the state of Wisconsin and all others who treat our LOs with lack of dignity and self esteem during their final years. I don't wish ill thoughts on others but if only they could walk in our LOs shoes...and ours. We can do much better than this in caring for our elderly.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:46 am

Freeflowing, you and your family are in my prayers. This is just wrong.

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 pm

I hope you keep us updated. You and your family remain in my prayers.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Got a call from someone on Monday. She thinks her mother has LBD. Her mother was recently arrested. The daughter has no way to force the mother to see an MD for diagnosis.

A social worker in our area told the daughter to contact "adult protective services." This is a county effort in our state to investigate the medical wellbeing of adults. The social worker explained that there is a chance that the county will give guardianship to the daughter without the need to pay $15K and go to court.

I don't know if your county has this sort of group but it might be worth checking in to.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Feeling the need to "close the loop" on this - especially as my mom passed away peacefully on April 19, 2011.

My mom's care facility ended up dropping their charges and mom was only required to appear in court the one time. My dad has tried to obtain all records of the case from the County (including transcripts of the proceedings) but the state's public defender said that was an unusual request that would take some time to accommodate. As we've been otherwise consumed with my mom's health in her final months, Dad hasn't pressed for this info but we'll take it up again at some point.

We were very lucky in that the facility to which my mom was involuntarily committed was a fantastic, professional and caring place: the Geriatric Psychiatry Inpatient Program at the Stoughton Clinic in Stoughton, Wisconsin. She stayed there for about 2 weeks. They did a comprehensive evaluation, including a fresh review of her drug regiment, resulting in weaning her off a couple of meds and starting her on Seroquel. The latter, which we were reluctant to do, brought my mom great relief from her tremendous anxiety and agitation. Who knows, it may well have hastened her deterioration, but she was already so advanced that we felt her comfort was of prime importance.

Her care facility - yes, the same that called the police to have her arrested - welcomed her back with open arms. I think the staff was heartbroken by what had happened, which they were required to do by facility policy. We began hospice care immediately after she returned to the facility and she was very well cared for in her final months.

Wisconsin must revise its laws and regulations on this issue. But, we're up against a massive "pro-business" mentality, and care facilities are big business. As a professional advocate in another arena (the environment) I've concluded the only way to affect change on this is not a "pulling the heart-strings" approach, but rather by pointing at the tremendous waste (i.e., dollars) of the current system. The drain on emergency responders, emergency rooms, public defenders, Medicare, etc. is totally absurd. My mom's two-week involuntary commitment alone cost around $17,000 - the great majority of which was paid by Medicare. There must be a better way. I'm committed to continuing to work with advocacy groups in the area to do what I can to improve the situation.

My beloved Mom, Christina, passed away on April 19, 2011. She was my best friend, 64 years young and had LBD. Her beautiful spirit lives on in her first grandchild, our daughter, who was born just two months later.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks for the excellent update. I'm sorry to know you've lost your mom but knowing that she went peacefully is comforting. My husband Dale also went 'peacefully' almost a month ago. I share your pain in having lost one who was dear to you.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:07 am

I have already responded in the other thread regarding your mother's escape from Lewy and your impending birth. I just want to comment on your observations regarding the 'system' and changes needed. I could not agree more! So much waste, so much greed and fraud, too. Health care should not be an 'industry'. I'm in the process of seeking ways in my state to work with legislators to address these issues. As an RN I have seen plenty on both sides of the situation. Thank you for your courage at this sad/happy time in your life to speak up.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 am

[quote="freeflowing"] The latter, which we were reluctant to do, brought my mom great relief from her tremendous anxiety and agitation. Who knows, it may well have hastened her deterioration, but she was already so advanced that we felt her comfort was of prime importance.

.[/quote

Often it comes down to Quality not Quantity, Again I am sorry for your loss!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:17 am
Profile WWW

so sorry for your loss. God Bless, Ger

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:34 am

My condolences on the loss of your mother yesterday. I'm glad your mother and family had the support of hospice.

What a surprise that the inpatient care facility was such a good one, and that the first care facility welcomed her back.

I'm sure there are many in the community who would welcome your advocacy efforts.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:50 pm

I can say that even though I love Wisconsin, I will never return there after reading this. I will also not put my Loved One in a faciity unless it's a last resort. Then only if I can go with her.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:58 pm

Start here:http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/HowToReport/ucm053087.htm and here:http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Safety/MedWatch/DownloadForms/UCM082725.pdf . Make sure you check the box that says "you do not want a report sent to the manufacturer". The box is in the lower right-hand corner of the form's first page.

Also try your state's Department of Licensing and Regulation.
In Wisconsin it's:http://www.drl.state.wi.us/ and the forms can be found here:http://drl.wi.gov/section.asp?linkid=16&locid=0

Please don't be frivolous but do report all major events. You can make a difference.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:37 pm

This report may be of interest to those of you concerned with how dementia patients are handled in Wisconsin. Note that Ch. 51 is the state statute covering involuntary commitments. The highlighted emphasis was added by me.

APPEALS COURT OPINION CLARIFIES USE OF CH. 51 IN ALZHEIMER’S CASES
The District II Court of Appeals ruled Wednesday ch. 51 commitment of an individual with Alzheimer’s disease is not appropriate because of ch. 51’s limited definition of ‘treatment.” “Treatment”, the court said, “is defined by ch. 51 as ‘those psychological, educational, social, chemical, medical or somatic techniques designed to bring about rehabilitation of a mentally ill, alcoholic, drug dependent or developmentally disabled person.”
“Consequently, rehabilitation is a necessary element of treatment under Wis. Stat. ch. 51,” the court said. “Because there are no techniques that can be employed to bring about rehabilitation from Alzheimer’s, an individual with Alzheimer’s disease cannot be rehabilitated.”
Noting the issues raised in this case “are of great public import,” the court noted the number of persons 65 or older with Alzheimer’s disease is expected to reach 7.7 million in 2030, up from the current 5.3 million. “Nearly one out of two people who reach age eighty-five will develop Alzheimer’s .” The court said in Wisconsin, the current number of persons with Alzheimer’s is 110,000.
“All too often, instead of engaging in behavioral management techniques or careful discharge planning, facilities will use Wis. Stat. ch. 51 civil commitment procedure to immediately remove residents with challenging behaviors, many of whom suffer from Alzheimer’s disease.”
The court said the case at hand “provides the opportunity to clarify the proper application of Wis. Stat. ch. 51 and eliminate the variation in ways counties apply the law to people who have Alzheimer’s and related dementias.”
The court said a woman in this case “was not a proper subject for detainment or treatment under Wis. Stat. ch. 51 because Alzheimer’s disease is not a qualifying mental condition under that chapter.”
The decision reversed an order for commitment and involuntary medication.
In the Matter of the Mental Commitment of Helen E. F.: Fond du Lac County v. Helen E. F. Recommended for publication. Link to opinion: http://thewheelerreport.com/releases/Ap ... vhelen.pdf

Julianne

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:44 am

That IS interesting, Julianne! Obviously, rehabilitation is NOT possible in dementia. Strange that it took them this long to figure that out.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:30 pm

It seems that society in general is just beginning to recognize the impact of AD and other dementias. I also noticed that CNN is having a program on AD ("Unthinkable: The Alzheimer's Epidemic") on Sunday at 8 p.m. EDT. There is just more coverage and discussion of dementia recently.

Julianne

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next