View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 pop had a really scary fall Friday 

Post pop had a really scary fall Friday
Pop's walking has really gotten worse the past couple of months. He had about a year that he walked better but it has gotten much worse. Since he had a heart attack the VA is doing test to see if it is his heart that is making him fall so much. It is my gut feeling that it is Lewy and not his heart.
He already has a hurt knee and hip from falling but Friday afternoon he had a bad fall. We had been to the VA Friday morning. It's 100 miles there and 100 back and after we got home, I ran to get a hair cut. Our 28yr old was here but he was asleep. Pop decided to go and get the mail and we live about 200 feet from the road. He almost made it back to the house before he hit the concrete with his face. He had gotten new glasses Wednesday and the lens are all scratched. He finally got in the house and woke Brent up and his face covered with dripping blood. Brent called me and here I came with hair color, cape, towels and all. He scared both of us to death especially the way the Drs warned us about the blood thinner he is taking.
After I got him cleaned up, he has a huge knot under his eye, a black eye, nose all skinned, lip and ear skinned, both knees skinned and bruised all over. He has a white beard and I'm still finding blood in it.
We had been to the VA Thursday and Friday and he actually let me push him in the wheel chair. Before, he refused to even sit down in the wheel chair. We've got to go back to the VA tomorrow for 3 appointments then again Thursday to see his Neuro. I'm anxious to see the heart test results because I don't think that it is his heart making him fall.
OH the joys of Lewy land!!

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:11 am

Post Re: pop had a really scary fall Friday
Oh, poor Pop, and poor you, Nanny. These things just happen, don't they? If any of you would like to see Pop's nice beard and beautiful blue eyes you can see a picture by opening the link below and clicking on "13 members". You will find Nanny's entry.

DrP

http://www.flickr.com/groups/lbdcarers/

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:37 am

Nanny,
How awful for him and you having to come home with hair dye and all but thank goodness he didn't break anything, does he use a walker at all, maybe the doctor can talk to him about using one, they are great at the VA with things like that, the walker that they supplied us with had a seat on and it worked well for a while and when my husband got to tired to walk, I would turn it around and he could sit and I would push, it worked well in the samller , short outings

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:00 am
Profile WWW

So sorry about your husband's fall. The older we get, the hard we fall, huh? Glad his injuries weren't any worse, like broken bones for instance.
I can just picture you flying out of the hair salon - one of my biggest nightmares is having my hair color or highlighting halfway processed and something happens to someone! I tell my family "don't do anything till I'm in and out of the shower with this stuff washed out of my hair." LOL Lynn

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:11 am

An interesting note about elderly falls and broken hips: Some falls are apparently caused by a broken hip, rather than the reverse. If you look an an X-ray of an osteoporotic hip joint it's easy to see how the femoral neck could just snap, which would then cause a fall. I'm sure this is a minority of cases but some researchers think it happens a lot more than we think. I was very relieved to learn that my husband's bone density is excellent for his age.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:57 am

Sorry to hear about your husband's fall. Can the wheelchair be used in and around your house?

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:26 pm

I appreciate it all of you
We went back to the VA yesterday and they found clogged arteries is pop's right leg. They now think that is what is making him so much more unstable. Now another Dr and more meds. He's already on 22 prescriptions.
The VA gave pop a walker 2yrs ago and then he was falling backwards for the walker just went on top of him but lately he is falling forward.
Pop is a VERY stubborn man!! He won't touch the wheel chair at home. The VA is the only place that he has used the wheel chair.
We are finding more bruises everyday. He even has a bruise on one toe.
And yes thank God he hasn't broken anything.
Pop has promised me that he won't go to the mail box anymore but yall know how that is.
He's still mad because his guns have been put up. The other day he told me that if he can't have his guns then I can't have things that I like. (not long ago I got me a 55 inch TV) He said that if I don't give his guns back, he's going to throw my TV out in the yard!!
You have to laugh instead of crying
Yall have a good one

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:52 am

Sorry about your dad's perplexing and stubborn behavior. There's no ideal way to deal with it but laughter certainly does help.

Twenty-two prescriptions! Oh, my! They really pile them on, don't they? As a home health nurse I was often appalled at the number of meds some of my clients were taking--hardly room in their stomachs for food with all the pills they had to take! And I shudder to think of all the compounding effects they had. As most of you know, older folks cannot metabolize or excrete drugs at the same rate or with the same efficiency as can younger people, so they're more likely to get a buildup of medications in their systems. Still, doctors add each one as they see the need and don't seem to consider the overall effect.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:23 am

Pat,
When we started down the LBD path of a final DX my husband was taking 37 pills a day not really sure how many prescriptions anymore, what did I know , we went to the doctors and I figured they knew better than I, when I finally got involved in LBDA I realized.It seemed like what ever complaint we had the doctor wrote a script. Even for myself the doctor has prescribed drugs that I later come to find out might work diifferently if you are taking another or to be careful if you say have Asthma or another condition.

This is one illness I say go low and slow with drugs, sometimes less is better!

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:57 am
Profile WWW

mockturtle, pop is what I call my husband because the g'kids call him that.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm sorry, nanny! :oops:

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]