View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Comparing a bipolar son and Lewy dementia 

Post Re: Comparing a bipolar son and Lewy dementia
I haven't posted on here in a long time but I had to jump in here
I have raised 2 g'sons that are bipolar. I let my daughter have custody of the boys back several years ago but the judge gave custody of the 15yr old back in April this year. He has been in a mental program since June and we have to travel 3 hours to see him. My g'sons have PTSD from abuse and pop has it from Viet Nam. They take alot of the same meds. The g'sons have had MANY med changes trying to get them stable on meds. The 13yr old is still with our daughter and she is bipolar too. She is 35 and was diagnosed last year.
I have seen so many of the same problems with their bipolar, PTSD and pop's LBD.
God Bless anybody dealing with bipolar and LBD
Ann

Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:39 am

Nanny, I have wondered how YOU and pop were. It is amazing that you have been able to hang in there and stay sain. I have Frank that I care for and some days,, I can't wait until bed time, just as I did with our busy toddlers. I can't imagine the heartache of having to watch grandchildren suffer from such a disease, and their mom, through no fault of her own, hasn't been able to help her sons or with her dad.

Your are in my thoughts and prayer, stay in touch.

Gerry

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks for writing, Ann (Nanny) - We lost Dale's bipolar son in prison last year. He was to be released this fall. His life after college was one traumatic event after another as the bipolar disease took its toll. Along with you, I see some of the same behavior in his father, Dale. And, in fact, when Dale was given Seroquel, the medicine sounded all too familiar.

I have mixed feelings about the son's death. He would not have been able to get a job in this economy. His wife was planning to leave him so we would have needed to support him and try to stabilize him from one bipolar event to another. I'm really glad that God had another plan. I'm sure you understand.

I'm so sorry to know of your struggle with your family. They are so young to be diagnosed already. Our son was in his 20s and out of college - which is probably more typical.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:40 am

Ann - you really do have SO much to deal with. I don't know how you do it. Hang in there and know all your LBDA forum friends are here to support you. Sending a gigantic hug, Lynn

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:50 am

Thanks yall
pop had a heart attack the end of Sept and it really made things worse. The dementia and PTSD but more so the PTSD. Our 28yr old hid all of the guns here and pop has fussed everyday since. You don't mess with a Nam veteran's guns!! pop is angry at the world but angry at me because I've taken away all of his freedom.
I'll be honest, in the past it depressed me to come on here and read. I don't mean this in a bad way but it depressed me to read about the loved ones that are worse than pop.
pop had a really good year walking but in the past month he is falling again like he did in the past. It is a daily struggle to get him to eat atleast once a day. I've told a friend that in a way it will be easier when he isn't so mad at the world. We were married 44yrs on the 21st.
All we can do is take a minute at the time and see what to do next. I tell pop that I don't know what side of the fence he is going to be on
God Bless All Of You
Ann

Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:08 pm

Yes, Ann, it is depressing... but it is also good to know that others are in the same boat. Up to recently, Dale was doing so well that I thought he was one of those who just went on and on. I had visions of minor symptoms that could be controlled with medication. We were going to travel and do normal things for a long time.

Five weeks ago, Dale suddenly had major mental problems that were like his earliest symptoms. And now, he wears Depends and is dependent on me for everything.

I sit alone in a big house .... that has never been so neat. :lol: He lies in bed with music playing. And I arrange for care giving so I can be a person again.

Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:12 pm

i wrote a long post before christmas,, and its gone.. mustve zigged when i should have zagged and forget to hit send???

sharon.. my daughter has never been honest enough with herself or doc's, on her symptoms..to get a real diagnoses.. i sure the see the horrible depression.. but dont see the highs. very often, if ever.. when she has been really bad, ive seen a mix of everything...... but i do feel the symptoms over lap, alot .. when i was able to go with her to the doc a few months ago he mentioned border line personality.. and after reading a few books i see more of that, than the bipolar.. but depends on the day and her mood swings..

leone, thank you for your nice note.. im sure sorry about your son.. but understand th mixed blessing.... you are lucky to be in an area where you were able to get help.. here if they dont want help and are over 18.. its impossible to get them help, even if they are suicidal soemtimes.. took daughter once and thought whew at least we have 72 hours of knowing shes ok.. and the nest moring hubby went to work and their she sat on his work door step.. they had let her out at midnight and she walked to his work.. this was after a suicide attempt and us begging to keep her 72 hours with a promised call when they let her out!!

being around both of them, is very similar.... in nature.. and is heartbreaking to watch and deal with.. add in the ptsd.. .. im on alert always... wish their was an easy answer.. if so i havent found it yet!!
thank you all for beinging here
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:36 am

ann, it looks as though you and i live in similar worlds.. wanted to take a minute and send you a hug.. hang in there!! i understand the minute at a time routine.... hope you can make time for you, too!!
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3