View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Comparing a bipolar son and Lewy dementia 

Post Comparing a bipolar son and Lewy dementia
This isn't our first experience with mental illness. In fact, there are a few similarities between Dale's behavior now and the bipolar episodes his son had. His son died in prison at age 44 - two years ago in March.

He lived with us for a year and finally, I couldn't do it anymore. I became too fearful of him. The episodes would come with the change of seasons. At one point - fully sane on medication (one was Seroquel), he told me that he always heard voices in his head and most of the time, he could ignore them. Medication seemed to control his behavior for a few months and then he would go into another episode.

He thought often of suicide. Oddly, a friend who lived two doors from us (a doctor who was also bipolar) did commit suicide two years ago in her home.

Our son was in prison because - during an episode - he assaulted two sheriffs - hurting the eye of one badly. He died in prison because of miss-managed medication but they claimed he died of heart problems - (probably caused by more than 20 years of bipolar meds.)

His mother was also bipolar and I always thought that he had her genes. I had no idea that mental illness would also be a factor in Dale's life.

Do any of you have bipolar family members?

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:47 pm

Post Re: Comparing a bipolar son and Lewy dementia
I was always told that degenerative brain diseases were not considered mental illness. Certainly, a lot of the same symptoms occur.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:53 pm

No one in my dad's family was bipolar, going back to his grandparents on both sides, but don't know beyond that.
Interesting you should bring up this topic today. I was just thinking earlier when we were writing about trying to talk logically with someone who is illogical, that a friend of ours who is bipolar and has become seriously out of control lately, is very much like dealing with someone with dementia. Any rational discussion is turned into something surreal. Perceptions are so skewed, and there is no getting the person back to what is reality for the rest of us.
This man's wife (who's now filed for divorce) and teenage daughter are living this nightmare of his bipolar personality and all the havoc it has brought. He "isn't sick" so he's not getting any help. Anyway, she goes through very similar situations to those of us on this forum with no relief in sight.
Lynn

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:58 pm

Sorry, Pat... I should have put that 'mental illness' into quotes. You are right, of course.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Fran's younger brother spent 20 in the mental ward at the VA Hospital. He was dx with scizophrenia and was completly out of control prior to his admission. He was also dx as being Bipolar. I questioned the correlation between the two. All doctors told me that Fran was not menatlly ill, but had a degenerative brain disease, and they are not related.
My Son's brother-in-law is Bipolar, his paternal uncle was mentally ill so prior to them having a baby they went to genetic counselling. Was told the chances of one of their children having mental illness was not likely. So who knows, but I can tell you one thing LBD is giving me mental illness. Bernie

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Me, too, Bernie. I got so frustrated yesterday that I tought I was going to stroke out. I wondered what he would do with my lifeless body lying on the floor. Look at me and ask for a cookie, I suppose. He can't dial a phone anymore. I have always thought of myself as NOT living alone, but essentially I am. Maybe I should get one of those Life Alert things you wear around your neck and maybe before the darkness descended I could think to press the button. AFTER I got him the cookie, of course. Nan

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:36 pm

I know what you mean by stroking out--I came home this morning and checked my BP and it was 190/100. It's normally normal but I should think this spiking is almost as dangerous as ordinary HTN.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:11 pm

I think I remember reading that people diagnosed with clinical depression and possibly bipolar or schizophrenia, can't remember what other mental illnesses were included, are more prone to lbd. I'm afraid to know the truth since depression is so prominent in my family history, but I've certainly wondered about it a lot lately. Maybe it is time to know the truth. Does anyone have that info at hand or can point me to an article or post where I might have read it? Or maybe you can just dispell that fear of mine altogether.
Debbie

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Deb, I've never heard of that association. And, for the record, neither my husband nor anyone in his family has had depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. Or dementia, for that matter. However, his father died in his early 60's from a ruptured aortic aneurism so it's possible he might have developed Lewy if he'd lived longer, I guess. His mother was 82 when she died.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Nan, you made me laugh out loud with the cookie remark.. Loved it. Reminds me so much of Fran. I go through 3 dozen of peanut butter cookies a week. No matter what I am doing I have to stop to give him a cookie. I ask, how many do you want, always says one. I say, take 2 you always eat 2 at a time. No, I WANT ONE. Eats it and then asked me for another. Yikkkke

Fran has an alert system. There is a chain with the emergency button which he wore if I was out of ear shot. I had to hide it from him, he thought it was the tv remote. I had to cancel many a calls. Once I was downstairs doing the laundry and my cell phone rang. Ran upstairs answered the phone and it was Guardian calling me that my husband was in trouble. At the time he was sitting in his lift chair staring at the tv. Seems he was just trying to change the channel. He WAS in trouble after that. lol Bernie

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:20 pm

I have a friend who has woken up twice to the police ringing the doorbell and peeking in through the sliding glass door to see if they could see anyone in trouble. She figures she rolled over and her boob set it off. Twice. I think I might shorten the chain it's on.

Loved your story, too, Bernie.

Smiles, Nan

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:30 pm

I love this new section, most posts make me smile, they relate to us or I have a vivid picture.

Thanks Irene,
Gerry

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:24 am

Yes, thanks Irene!

Lots of chuckles on this thread!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Karen

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Everyone needs a good chuckle!!

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:04 pm
Profile WWW

thanks for the laughs.. always works wonders!!

leone to answer your original question..sadly i do have another lo with bi polar..my daughter.. she is 43 and the last 25 years have been horrible..we have been thru everything and then some!! things i would never wish on anyone... and even tho its been a tad better, the last few months.. i can't count on any thing more , than this second, anymore.

as a mom, its been devastating. then to have my hubby have ad or lewy body or??.. is almost more than i can handle... the sadest part is that i just dont have the patience i need for both and find myself exploding at them, when i should be calm...im hanging by a thread and tip over the edge, with a soft breeze, i think running away, for maybe a year, would take care of a lot of this...LOL

i do feel like dealing with both of them, is similar...all illness of lo's is difficult, but i do believe it would be much easoer if the thinking and reasoning process, was not involved. im a very logical person.. and logic and explaining, just doesnt work with either one.... in fact it gets me in trouble more times, than not..

but im learning and trying to do better, each day... and this board helps me put things in better perspective.. thank you!!
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 1-14,released to memory care..

Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next