View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Fecal incontinence 

Post Re: Fecal incontinence
I don't blame you at all for throwing the pants and socks out. Sometimes I feel really sory for the garbage men who have to empty my garbage can every week. Over the hot days of the summer the smell (double bagged in odor protective bags) was so bad no flies would even go near it. And the dog once looked at me like, "How could you do that to me. I have to use this yard for recreation."

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:00 pm

Nan - thanks, you made me laugh with that posting!
A friend of mine who's been taking care of her mom for several years told me she just started going to discount store sales and yard sales, buying cheap pants and socks for her mom because she did not want to deal with the clean up many times. She'd just toss them too when things were really bad. She said she just couldn't bear the idea of washing hers and her husband's clothing in the same washing machine.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm reminded of when I used to babysit my eldest nephew (now 34). My sister used cloth diapers for as long as she could stand them. I remember grimacing as I rinsed out the diaper in the toilet before putting it in the diaper pail, with my sister telling me that I'd get used to it and would soon be eating an apple in one hand while rinsing with the other! (I did get used to it.)

Same thing with Mom. We've done it all - explosions that redecorated the bathroom and muddy rivers that leak through to the mattress pad. Mom is so devastated when it happens that I haven't the heart to do anything but clean it up. It is frustrating, though, as this usually happens in the morning when I'm trying to get Mom to Senior Daycare and me to work. Thank goodness I have an understanding boss!

One thing I did do when all of this started was to visit the baby section at Target, looking for anything that would make things easier. I did get today's version of the diaper pail - a flip top container with an insert containing a long tube of plastic. The disposable diaper goes in there and when I need to or have a minute, I remove the plastic "bag," formed by tying a knot in the end of the tube. The tube is cut (on-board cutter), a knot is tied in the bag you're removing and in the tube to form another bag. It's pretty simple. The only thing is that I sometimes forget to empty it soon enough. There are air fresheners you can get, too.

They also have plastic 1-diaper bags, in a roll, that you can carry with you. (they are bio-degradable, but I don't know about the diaper)

Check out the baby store for ideas. Next stop will be the pet store (maybe a pooper-scooper?).

Kate

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks for the hints. I'm off to Target. Nan

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:45 pm

I find those baby wipes very useful, too.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:07 pm

Since I began this post, we have gone the other way. No BM since my post. Count the days, my friends. Lots of them. We wound up with such fecal continence that two days ago we spent the whole evening at the ER getting his impacted bowel disempacted. I have to tell you, I have such respect for those doctors and nurses. I could never do what they did without gagging and throwing up. I had to leave the room, ony coming back between each mining expedition and enema. Poor Del. It was painful and embarrassing.

My advice is...keep em going at home. They will help you at the ER but it's not a walk in the park.

Nan

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:59 am

You've really got your hands full! I couldn't do any of the kind of stuff so many of you do every day. I nearly fell over last year when I was trying to get my dad's new shower working for him and he came in this tiny bathroom and took off his clothes in front of me. That was something that never happened before and I was so shocked! How so many of you deal with diaper changes, bathing and all those other things that have to be done is and mystery to me and you all are to be commended.
And no, I wouldn't have wanted to be those ER professionals either! They should be paid a lot to do that! Lynn

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:27 am

Nan, as an RN, I've done many a disimpaction. It seems to go best with them seated on the toilet or commode, if they are able, because then you have gravity working for you. I remember one poor guy I had to do in his tiny bathroom in his travel trailer. Took me over an hour and the smell was overpowering, even with his vent fan going full blast. But when it was over, we both felt a lot better. :-) So far, I haven't had to do my husband. I give him Activia every day plus stool softeners, a fairly high fiber diet and lots of water. Constipation does go with the territory, though. :-(

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:33 am

Lynn, I didn't think I could do a lot of the things I am doing. I never thought I would be wiping my husband's butt. It is a learning curve and I am sometimes a failing student. Pat, bless you for your matter of fact attitude. I often think of you when I am faced by things I find unpleasant. And I ask myself how you would handle it. And then I think of Derek saying, "You're a professional nurse."

What we are doing stretches our limits in so many ways. Next to my computer I have a saying by the Dahli Lama, "Human suffering is everywhere, but being happy or unhappy remains a personal choice." And I try to make the right choice.

You are all the sisters and brother of my heart. Love, Nan

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:55 am

And I thank God there are lots of people who want to be doctors and nurses and are really good at it. Thanks to all of you/them!

Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:00 pm

I don't do sputum at all well, though.... :|

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Good thing you're not around me with my pneumonia in the morning! LOL

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Really! :mrgreen: I would not have made a good respiratory therapist. Although I have suctioned plenty of people, including my husband when he had a temporary tracheostomy back in the 1980's. It's not my favorite. Not crazy about vomit, either, and I thought that would be a deal breaker for me with the nursing career but got used to that, too.

In all seriousness, I think compassion takes over and dulls the other senses.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Quote:
muddy rivers that leak through to the mattress pad

My mom hasn't had an accident in bed yet, but she pees all night long so the diaper gets overwhelmed and leaks. We even put two etra pads in the maximum absorbancy diaper and still it soaks through. I put a layer of three of those washable pads under her. She has "forgotten" the pads and peed all the way through two mattress pads during a nap. Royal pain in the butt because it's a day bed and not easy to get the mattress pads on or off. I'm going proactive after reading this and upgrading to six layers of the pads. They are in the incontinence section of the pharmacy.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:44 pm

I don't know if you can still buy this stuff or not, but back when my kids were babies there was this waterproof "fabric" that you could cut and put on a crib mattress (or wherever you needed it). It looked and felt like flannel on both sides but it had a waterproof layer in the middle that was like a rubbery substance. Anyone know if that exists? I can't remember if it was purchased where you get mattress pads or what. I was thinking that might work for some of us if you can still get the stuff.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next