View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Artists? 

Post Re: Artists?
Good question. I think that you're right about joining the Yahoo group and posting there, but I haven't done that. I have images of some of my paintings on Snapfish.com, my blog and Facebook. Some of us have exchanged email addresses and sent each other photos via email or provided our blogs, FB accounts, etc. If you want to do that, send me a PM and I'll give you my email address. Lynn

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:42 am

Jackie- The collage sounds like a very artistic, wonderfully soothing craft for a care giver. Super idea! Woud love to see some photos of them. I have not been one to do scrapbooking but really admire those others have done. There is a real knack to doing them nicely. Maybe one day.....

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:30 am

Many years ago I knew a lady artist and whose mother had
Alzheimers. She said her mother's dementia came out in her (the daughter's) work, and wrote a book about it, illustrated with her paintings. I don't think it was ever published, but it is an intriguing idea.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:18 pm

If any of you get a chance to see the exhibit "Alz.: Forgetting Piece by Piece" please do so. The artistry and the stories behind the art are just amazing. You will all be able to related to much of what is in each of these caregivers' or patients' stories, and the quality of the quilts is remarkable. I don't know where the exhibit is going when it leaves Vermont, but perhaps you can Google it. The curator is Ami Simms and I believe it will be going to all 50 states eventually. Lynn

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:38 pm

Gail, the lady your remember as the artist, Kim Zabbia, is a neighbor of mine and I watched her grow up because the mother was a very dear friend of mine. Many of us were broken hearted as we watched the mother, Lou, battle the cruel illness. Yes, you will find the book on Amazon. They have a few copies, but at least by going to Kim's name with google you will see how to reach a discription of the book and the artist's painting of the cover.

[Inside the book, one paragraph is devoted to me!] I still miss Lou like everything. We had many great times together. I was so proud of her three children and her husband for caring for her the way they did. She took part in a study at NIH where they were developing the very meds we came to use for our LBD loved ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Painted-Diaries-D ... 157749007X

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:52 pm

DrP,
What a neat connection. What's the paragraph about?
Robin

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:01 am

Oh, Robin, maybe it was more like a sentence. I would stop by Lou's house on my way home from work in the afternoon and she would have a pocketful of notes she had written on scraps of paper. We would try to decipher them and I would read them back to her, one word at a time [for her journal], which later became part of the book. I needed to hold my finger after each word/letter or she would have written backwads over where she had just written. I also remember having to retrieve each scrap when we finished writing it or Lou would insist that we had not used it already and enter it again. Kim later used this scribbled material for her beautiful book honoring her mom. I was glad to be a part of her life.

DrP

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:45 am

Wow, what a wonderful story, Dorthea. Thank you for sharing it with us. Lynn

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:32 am

Classic DrP. Doing lots of small things for others that add up to big things.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:26 am

Yes, Dorthea, I was referring to Kim. I liked Kim and Bobby a lot. Her paintings are on www.theartstationllc.com I don't know whether any of those are in her book.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:04 pm

I'm no artist. I can barely draw a straight line on a floor plan at work. But a nephew of mine is and has sold pieces already. (He just got his MFA, specializing in printmaking. His name is Jon Mahnke and his website is http://jonmahnke.com/index.html. No landscapes and no fruit bowls. Jon does things with precision lines and measurements. Take a look at his work. People either love it or hate it. And then there are those of us who need to be talked through it.
Me, I'm a musician. It's evolved from stringed instruments to vocal. I used to be pretty good, or at least that's what people told me.
I really admire visual artists. It takes so much patience and good vision.

Kate

Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:43 am

Took lots of reference photos at Yellowstone NP yesterday. Hope I can finally find some time to paint when I get back home. Nice to have a break away from everything for a few days.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:06 am

Lynn,
Enjoy your time away on your much needed break, Isn't Yellow stone great, Last big trip I was able to make before Jim passed, we loved it !

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:25 am
Profile WWW

Yellowstone is just so fantastic. I am so mesmerized by the geysers - I have to see as many as I can every time we go there. I will think of you, Irene, next time I visit there. It is such a special place and I'm glad you and your husband were able to enjoy it together. Lynn

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:10 pm

I have just got to get to Yellowstone some day! Five years ago (before diagnosis) my Mom and I went to Alaska and we got to see the beauty and wonder of Denali. I would like to add Yellowstone to that list. I tell myself someday.

If you don't mind my reminiscing, my last trip away was last October before my Mom's big decline. I went to Colorado and met my 84-yr-old uncle who drove across the country from NY with my aunt. We drove to Silver Cliff, CO. where we promptly hit a wolf that was dashing across the highway, damaging the car so that we limped into the driveway at my great-aunt's home. My great-aunt was 91 at the time and full of family stories about my great-grandfather who invented basketball. We stayed there much longer than we had intended since the car was in the shop. She showed us photos of my family that I've never seen before. She was on an oxygen tank but her mind was sharp and her emotions were warm. She's gone now but I treasure the memories of that trip.

I have a craving to travel. Can you tell?

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next