View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Emergency Room Wallet Card for LBD patients and caregivers 

Post Emergency Room Wallet Card for LBD patients and caregivers
The Lewy Body Dementia Association is pleased to offer a brand new publication - an Emergency Room Wallet Card. This is a must-have document for all LBD patients and caregivers!

This wallet card was developed in collaboration with our Scientific Advisory Council of LBD experts, and includes information on medications contraindicated in LBD for behavioral problems. It also lists alternative medications for consideration by emergency room physicians. (There are other medications that are contraindicated in LBD that might be used in long term therapy by a patient's general practitioner, but this card is not designed for that purpose.) This card is most appropriate for emergency situations where ER physicians may need to treat severe behavioral problems.

We hope that providing you with a tool created by doctors for doctors, that it will lend credibility in your words of caution to ER staff about medication sensitivity.

If you would like to receive your free copy, please email your request, including name and address to: lbda @lbda.org (no spaces).

In hope,
Angela Taylor
LBDA

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:46 am

Post Re: Emergency Room Wallet Card for LBD patients and caregive
Is this something new? I have a wallet card that I got a while ago from the LBDA. Actually I have two--one for my husband's wallet and one (with his info) in my purse for backup.

Gail

Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:56 pm

I got a bunch of those, too. They're good but they are very small and hard to read. I like the full-sized sheets the best if I know we're going to the hospital or a new doctor.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Gail -
This is not new. Angela's post dates from 4/1/07. Oddly, the "upgraded" Forum software now puts a few username's in red, and Angela's is one of them. Perhaps that's what attracted your attention today?
Robin

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:33 pm

I have requested the wallet card as mom has made a few trips to the ER and it is truly surprising how many professionals have not heard of LBD. The last trip landed her in the hospital for a week. Since I stayed with her around the clock I can tell you there are many people who come in contact with our loved ones that have no idea of their condition. This is a distressing situation which causes much anxiety and tears when they are not treated as gently as needed. Does anyone out there know if there is some way of alerting people to the presence of LBD ie a bracelet or a sign or something. (for example the nurse that goes around taking blood samples who is only there for a few moments but they can be calm or upsetting depending on how our loved one is treated.) I understand that there may be some legal issues here around labeling people but it certainly would be helpful in providing peace of mind when we are not able to be right there to advocate for them.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Kaatje,
One of the things I did and this is before the ER cards came out was I made my own cards and before dealing with anyone who didn't know of my husband's condition I would hand them a card and I always did it in a way as not to bring attenntion to us, if we went to a restuarant, many times my husband would say things so rude to perhaps the server and it helped them understand he was sick !

As far as I know there is nothing specific for alerting LBD, I know the Alzheimers sells a braclet in case your LO gets lost
http://www.alz.org/care/dementia-medic- ... return.asp

Here is a website that sells things for LBD and perhaps there is a place you could suggest it !
http://www.cafepress.com/lewybody#stick ... onsmagnets

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:02 pm
Profile WWW

I always take a copy of the one page LBD Fact Sheet with us to providers. They put it into his chart.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]