View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Fecal incontinence 

Post Fecal incontinence
The hardest...just the hardest thing for me to deal with is the fecal incontinence which is just beginning. I am overwhelmed by the odor and sheer mess of dealing with all aspects of this. He is either constipated or having huge bowel movements that smear through his clothes and land all over the bathroom. He wants to wipe himself AS he moving his bowels and he will only use wet wipes that he just throws in the trash. At the end I have to glove up and clean him anyway. Help. this might be a deal breaker. But then I thought that about peeing on the carpets, too, and I'm still here.

Any hints? I know I am not the only one who has dealt with this. Maybe I am the only one who had dealt with it this badly.

Nan

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Post Re: Fecal incontinence
My dad had similar issues (but we didn't consider it bowel incontinence), often making the mess lots worse by trying to clean. The aides and I just gloved up and dealt with it. Sometimes we could trick him by asking him to hold a plastic bowl with some water in it. "Here Dad, can you hold this while I help?"

When Dad became bed-bound, this was easier to deal with. He'd poop on plastic sheets, and that was much easier to clean up. And he no longer tried to "help."

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:48 pm

There is a lot of discussion about this on the forum, and most people on here have dealt or are dealing with it. There is also discussion about which "adult diapers" work best for folks. Type in "incontinence" in the "search" (upper right hand corner) and you'll find postings.
Can your LO dress himself? I'd suggest that you stop using underwear and start using incontinence underwear and dress him in it. You still have a mess to clean up, but at least the clothing, bedding and furniture won't need to be cleaned as often. If he is using it already and it's leaking, you might try another brand until you find a brand that works. Good luck.
Lynn

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:54 pm

We're not there yet, maybe when that starts I won't worry so much about the drool. :P Hang in there!!

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:12 pm

The worst part of fecal incontinence is when they try to take off their pants by themselves. :|

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Thank you all for your tips and your wisdom in this matter. Pat, I agree with you totally. He tries to do it himself and it gets all over his clothes, the floor, the bathmat, the toilet. then I put him in the shower and the shower drain won't take that amount of solids so we plugged the bathtub.

Robin, I was using the Mayo Clinic definition of fecal incontinence:

(Mayo Clinic staff

Fecal incontinence is the inability to control your bowel movements, causing stool (feces) to leak unexpectedly from your rectum. Also called bowel incontinence, fecal incontinence ranges from an occasional leakage of stool while passing gas to a complete loss of bowel control in someone who is older than 4 years old. )

I might have called it something else, but this seemed a nicer way of saying what we were dealing with than anything I could come up with. If I remember, my vocalization at the time was..

"Oh, Jesus. Oh, Jesus. Oh, Jesus. God help me."

I guess he did help me. We got through it.

Nan

Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:48 pm

I was simply saying that my dad didn't have fecal incontinence. He didn't make it to the toilet in time because he couldn't walk fast enough. And the large BMs were a challenge to clean up. We kept a snake in the bathroom because we were constantly plugging the toilet.

Someone in the local support group mentioned at last week's meeting that they use a 3-in-1 chair (shower chair, wheelchair, toilet). The BM goes into a bucket that is lined with plastic for easier disposal, and she puts the chair in the shower from the get-go.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks for the clarification, Robin. You are all so heroic. I am just not sure I can do this. It's a stumbling block for me,

Oh well..one foot in front of the other. I guess you can desensitize to anything. I'm just going to have to be the Little Engine That Could. I think I can, I think I can. I think I can.--------And maybe I will.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:31 am

A very messy subject, indeed. I cannot flush my husbands feces down our toilet it will clog it every time - it is huge!!!

So I put on the gloves and go fishing. I then put it into a bag and actually double bag it, tie it tight and put it into the garbage....lots of fun.
(Hey, you can do anything with gloves on.)
Lately he hasn't even been able to make it to the toilet so the job is a little
easier.
I am thankful too that he only goes every 4 - 5 days...

Blessings to all who fight the good fight.....Jeanie

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:44 pm

We did the same. We also kept a snake nearby to deal with whatever clogged toilet there was.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:51 pm

We replaced a toilet, Kohler, class 6, and it has yet to plug up. :-) My brother has some boys that plug the toilet everytime so they have some plastic knives in the bathroom and they cut it into several pieces before flushing. At least we aren't dealing with enemas.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:31 am

My mom occasionally loses control of her bowels. I just thought it was because she was old. Didn't know it's related to the LBD? She's been incontinent with her urine for a while now. After a few poop accident the new rule became diapers day and night. The pads she used to wear for the day did nothing for the poop other than make it worse.

Still, with the diapers it can get messy. I take the pants, socks, whatever else got it and take them outside and hose them off with a power wash. I just completely detach myself from the process and while I'm doing it I have this feeling of "now, this is truly love, isn't it?"

One time she missed the toilet and I swear to God I had no idea that poop could possibly fly out and splatter the entire bathroom. It literally seemed impossible, like this was some kind of joke. The walls were covered, the vanity, it even got on top of the vanity, the floor was covered and of course the OUTSIDE of the toilet. When I was cleaning that one up I actually had to laugh because it seemed so unreal. I don't know if it was the bleach fumes getting to my head, but I also could literally see myself hovering above my body and watching myself clean it up.

It's just become something normal I have to deal with. I never had kids, so it's totally new to me. After having her crap the diaper in Trader Joes and try to deal with herself, I now have a diaper bag in the car with a clean diaper, pants and wipes. I cleaned up the floor and toilet as best I could without cleaning supplies, but it was a very humbling experience having to apologize tell someone who worked there that the bathroom needed a proper cleaning.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:19 am

Fecal incontinence may be related to a neurological condition, or it could be caused by something entirely different.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:48 pm

Changing babies and little kids is nothing compared to changing and cleaning up after an adult. Aside from the obvious, one difference is you know your kids will become potty trained and you won't be doing this for very long. My sincere admiration of all of you CGs out there who do this day in and day out. When I first became aware of my dad's intermittent incontinence because he couldn't shuffle to the bathroom in time, I knew that this was something I just couldn't deal with. I hired professional CGs to come in twice a day to help him with various things, including cleaning him up and trying to get him to wear a diaper at least at night, and scrub him well in the shower since he wasn't able to do that very well. I don't know how so many of you do this, along with everything else 24/7. Lynn

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:34 pm

I do have a confession... sometimes I just throw the pants and socks in garbage :)

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next