View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hallucinations & delusions 

Post Hallucinations & delusions
How do you handle and respond to these mysterious problems. My husband is forever going to go see about something that doesn't exist or asks about people that are not there. I try very hard to try to gently talk him out of doing whatever he wants to do. But he usually gets angry at me. I know he thinks all this is real. I do not want to make him mad or argue with him but he seems to not take no for an answer. Today he wants to go to the pond and get a large frog that he says he put in a bucket and bring it to a pond closer to the house. I told him to go ahead, knowing full well that he can't walk that far. Any other approach?

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Post Re: Hallucinations & delusions
This is what I have found: You can't argue with them. The best option is to play along with them as far as possible. If it's not possible or feasible, then lie. When my husband frets about a meeting [this is a frequent delusion] I tell him it's been postponed or rescheduled. Sometimes I have to enlist the aid of the staff [a wink will get them to play along]. When he was home I often used the telephone to speak to 'official sources' and even used my SIL, when necessary, to play 'officer Smith' on the phone. It's a lot of work but it's the only way to deal with these issues, IMHO. Reason and objective truth simply don't work

Seroquel seemed to help his hallucinations [although he still has them] but did nothing for the delusions.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:19 pm

I agree, it is pointless to argue. The only exception I make is if my mother believes something truly terrifying is happening, like the time she called in a panic, saying the NH was on fire and no one was doing anything. I convinced her that if that were true, there would be alarms and people rushing around and so forth, and no one is going to leave her in her room if the place is on fire. Otherwise, as Pat suggested, I play along.

Julianne

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Ted's now taken to calling me several times over the past 2 weeks and saying he's being moved to the other compound(?) and that we have to follow the others who have already been moved (not true--just a delusion in his head). Today he mentioned it while we were visiting. I try to go along and then can only get so far before I just give up. I have been sad about how to handle it, but doing my best. I just try to reassure him as much as I can and enlist the nurses' help. He's called now 3 times today about the same thing.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Yes, there is always plenty of intrigue going on. I'm convinced they are not bored, at any rate.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]