View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Newly diagnosed with questions 

Post Newly diagnosed with questions
My mother was diagnosed with LBD in March of this year after 4 very scary months of mental decline. She was placed on Aricept and has seen a marked improvement in her lucidity and presence of mind. She lives on her own but is applying to a continuing care community. The facility wants to have an interview with her to discuss her memory and "the condition" she has. I'm afraid that because she is on Aricept, they will deny her admittance.
Can anyone tell me what I can do to educate the retirement community?
What is the natural progression of the disease?
What can I expect in the coming years?
Is there a average life span?
She is 79 yrs old and in good health otherwise. She still drives and considering her age, can carry on quite normally. She is obviously very scared and gets flustered when interogated about her health. Compounding all of this is that I live in another state. I have made the 4 hour drive several times for Drs. appointments, but should I consider moving? She would never agree to leaving her friends and community.
Thanks for whatever you can do to help me.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:11 am
Welcome to the forums, I will try and answer some questions for you the best I can.
LBD is difficult disease and has many ups and downs, where you have applied for her to live will depend on how long she stays in present stage, Some with LBD have more of the mental decline and then others take on the physical decline and very possible both., I think for right now with just the mental decline you have a better chance of her getting into an Assisted living situation, but if she should start with the physical that could be another story many places won't take on people like that!
If you read many things on LBD some will say 5-7 yrs but I have known people their loved Ones have lived longer or less those numbers are just an average. As far as educating the community go to the Lewy Body web site and print the information and give it to them.
You spoke of a possible move for yourself I wouldn't jump to that just yet, try and take a step at a time and see if she does in fact get into this place and how it works out and at that point you can decide what needs to be done, I hope some of this has helped and come bak again if you have more questions that need answering!
Good Luck! :)

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]