View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Comptan and hallucinations 

Post Comptan and hallucinations
My dad currently takes Sinimet/Comptan for his PD(sorry, but I am unsure about dosages). My mom is in the process of getting a list to me of all dosages and times just in case I would ever need it.

Anyway, I am just curious if Comptan has any affect on halluciations or not? I have been doing some reading on the National PD Foundation's website and have caught it mentioned there.

Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:28 pm
Post Re: Comptan and hallucinations
dad'sdaughter wrote:
My dad currently takes Sinimet/Comptan for his PD Anyway, I am just curious if Comptan has any affect on halluciations or not? .

Dear Dad's daughter,
Try looking at this link I sent you, many interesting things to read on Comptan also know as Entacapone, from what I am reading it is not a drug I would choose! :?

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/entac_ad.htm

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:13 pm

I'm sorry but I don't remember exactly why those with PD take comtan along with Sinemet -- it's either to avoid the wearing off of the levodopa, or it's to minimize the GI side effects of Sinemet. I don't hear of these sorts of drugs being used in addition to Sinemet in LBD or other atypical parkinsonism disorders, perhaps because "off" periods don't seem to be a problem in LBD. I might be totally uninformed!

I think this paragraph from RXlist.com is key:
"Approximately 14% of the 603 patients given entacapone in the double-blind, placebo-controlled trials discontinued treatment due to adverse events compared to 9 % of the 400 patients who received placebo. The most frequent causes of discontinuation in decreasing order are: psychiatric reasons (2% vs. 1%), diarrhea (2% vs. 0%), dyskinesia/hyperkinesia (2% vs. 1%), nausea (2% vs. 1%), abdominal pain (1% vs. 0%), and aggravation of Parkinson's Disease symptoms (1% vs. 1%)."

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]