View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Book Recommendations 

Post Book Recommendations
Trying to see if anybody out there can recommend a very good (informative) book regarding lbd? I have a copy of the 36 hour day, but it is very old and doesn't even recognize lbd. It's all about alzheimers. I am trying to find something with real life answers/suggestions for coping, what to expect, how to deal with the daily surges/declines in mental status/behavior, etc, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks a million. The more I can educate myself about this monster, the better I can prepare/respond.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:03 am

Post Re: Book Recommendations
Terry - do a search on the forum on "books". There are many books that have been recommended over the years on here. I don't remember any names or I'd tell you, but there has been a lot of discussion a while back. Lynn

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:16 am

Go to the link below to access the list of resources and books. I have a few to recommend myself - will come back here and post them in a moment.

http://www.lbda.org/category/4114/books ... giving.htm

Molly - Forum moderator. My dad's career as a geologist was interrupted by PD and LBD in 2009. I was a respite caregiver for my dad (lived out of state, but visited many times a year). He passed away peacefully in April 2014.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:39 am

Some of these may be redundant with books on the LBDA list at the link posted above, but these are books I found very helpful when I was struggling to understand what was happening with my dad. I loved Lisa Genova's novel Still Alice, about early onset Alzheimer's, and wanted to find novels about Lewy Body, because I wanted to better understand what it might feel like from the "inside out." I found Jonathan Franzen's book The Corrections had the very best fictional description - it felt very accurate to me. There is one specific chapter in there that describes the father's hallucinations while he's on a cruise ship. If I can get my hands on a copy of the book, I can share page numbers just for that passage. Anyway, here's my list of books that helped me:

Pat Snyder, Treasures in the Darkness: Extending the Early Stage of Lewy Body Dementia, Alzheimer's, and Parkinson's Disease
Whitworth, A Caregiver's Guide to Lewy Body Dementia
Burkholder, relentless goodbye: Grief and Love in the Shadow of Dementia
ann elia stewart, twice a child (novel)
Jonathan Franzen, The Corrections (novel)
John Harding, What We Did on our Holiday (novel)

Molly - Forum moderator. My dad's career as a geologist was interrupted by PD and LBD in 2009. I was a respite caregiver for my dad (lived out of state, but visited many times a year). He passed away peacefully in April 2014.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]