View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 xanax increase 

Post xanax increase
My husband takes 1 mg. Xanax twice a day and they have upped him to 3 times a day and may increase again. I called the pharmacist and ask him how much is too much and he said people with Lewy body sometimes go as high as 10 mg per day. Has anyone had any experience with their LO's on higher dosages ? Today ( after what i felt was 2 good days for him ) My husband told me that he felt so weak and nervous that he doesn't feel like he can go on another day. :cry:

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Post Re: xanax increase
Lesliep - Has the increase happened fairly slowly, or was it quick? Sometimes medication changes with my Dad caused very strong reactions that would in most cases (luckily) pass, but it took time. He was SO sensitive to changes in the meds, and I've heard others here say this is common with LBD. You might check with the doc to see if you can ease off and build up more slowly to the new dose.

Molly - Forum moderator. My dad's career as a geologist was interrupted by PD and LBD in 2009. I was a respite caregiver for my dad (lived out of state, but visited many times a year). He passed away peacefully in April 2014.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:22 pm

MollyK, he made that comment before the increase, that's why the doctor increased it, to try to ease his anxiety.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 pm

The upped dosage of the Xanax has eased his anxiety a little, praying for him to be at ease. Choking is really getting bad though.

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi Leslie! I'm glad that the Xanax is helping with your husband's anxiety. You said that the choking is getting "really bad". Is he choking on medicine? If so, maybe swallowing pills or tablets whole is now too hard for him.

Eventually, with my mother, we crushed her meds in apple sauce. Is he still able to eat and drink normally or is he on mechanically softened or pureed foods and/or thickened liquids? I don't recall you specifying this in previous posts. Thinking of you and big hug! AnneAAA

Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:35 pm

AnneA, He is choking on water, Gatorade, and any thin foods. I bought "thicket" and it calmed the choking down, but now he says it tastes so bad he can't eat or drink so I have to put that away. No matter what I do there is a reason it won't work for him. It is flavorless and suppose to be tasteless but he says nothing taste right with it in it. oh, well, back to square one. He can still chew certain foods I give him soft foods but not pureed or he wouldn't eat at all.

Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:59 pm

I think LBD changes the way people perceive taste as well as it changes so many other things, and not for the better. My dad thought a crab cake (basically his most favorite food in the world) tasted "horrible" and "like poison" the last time I got him one for lunch. Nothing he previously loved his whole life tasted good except for tomato soup. Perhaps he will regain the ability to taste more normally, Leslie. This disease really stinks. Lynn

Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:03 pm

Lynn, One of our sons brought Larry some chicken livers (soft) today from KFC his very favorite> he chewed them and didn't choke, I was near to heaven ! :lol: I think God gave him a little miracle today, he has wanted chicken livers for months and I was afraid to try them. the Xanax increase is starting to ease his anxiety a little more, but he is so very weak. I know that is part of it, but everyone here knows how bad it hurts to watch our LO's weaken further and further. praying for everyone here and their LO's.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Glad you found something he has always loved and that he is able to eat it as well as enjoyed it today, Leslie! That's fantastic! Lynn

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]