View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Medication Management 

Post Medication Management
Forgive me if this question has already been asked, but I didn't find anything. Does anyone have any help or suggestions for a medication dispenser that is affordable or covered by insurance? A few weeks ago on a Monday, my husband got up in the morning, took his Monday morning meds and shortly afterward went back to bed for a nap -- he sleeps a lot some days. When he got up a few hours later, he thought it was morning, so he took Tuesday morning meds. Long story short, we ended up in the ER because of a bad reaction he had and ended up staying the night. This past weekend, something very similar happened though I was able to stop him before he actually took any more meds. Sometimes he forgets to take his meds. I work full time so I can't always be there, though I do call to check on him.

I have his pills in separate days of the week containers, labeled with the time of day they are to be taken, but if he wakes from a nap and doesn't know what time it is or what day it is, this is not enough.

Phillips makes a really nice dispenser that won't let you take your meds at the wrong time, but it costs $900 or a hefty monthly fee.

I'd appreciate your suggestions please.
Thanks.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:30 pm

Post Re: Medication Management
Can you take the pills out of his control as far as him being able to get them himself and just put out what he should take for the day. That way you will know that he wont be taking any extra. I was looking online and i also found this. Not sure if this is something you would be interested in but its worth a look. http://www.medminder.com/pill-dispenser ... -dispenser

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:42 pm

Another thought that comes to mind. You have to take control of his meds and put out what he takes for the one day only but if the pills need to be taken 4x per day - hide them in a different spot and then phone him and tell him where to find his pills and go take them while you're on the phone?! More work on your part but might save the hospital trip...

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:23 pm

I agree with Gail. You can't allow him to take his own medications.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:54 pm

That's a good idea about hiding his meds and then phoning to tell him where they are. He can't find his socks in the sock drawer - and that was before he got sick. :lol:

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:47 pm

:) I can't say I've ever tried it and with my Mom it would have only worked if she felt like taking her pills that day but anything's worth a try to avoid those hospital trips in the middle of the night!! If you try let us know if it works!

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:14 am

We were at Mayo this week and the doctor wrote an Rx for a pill dispenser. Now I just have to figure out where to have it filled and if insurance will cover any of it.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]