View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Aricept 10mg 

Post Aricept 10mg
I have a question, my mother in law has been on 5mg of Aricept for the past 2 months she seemed to tolerate them well not having any side effects. Today she was put on 10mg that was upped from the 5mg. She took her first pill in the evening and then about 2 hours later she was crying saying she thought i was mad at her which i wasnt. Then a short time later she became sick to her stomach. Im wondering if this has anything to do with the increased dosage and if it would have even effected her this quickly. Does anyone know about this?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:08 am

Post Re: Aricept 10mg
It could certainly have upset her stomach. Be sure to report it to her physician.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:40 am

When Mr Bobby was on Aricept he cried. This was in the early stages and I had no idea that anything was seriously wrong. But I still remember that was one of the first signs. After we stopped Aricept, he had no more crying episodes.

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:00 am

My dad cried, unconsolably, quite a bit when he was put on Aricept. I never made the connection till your post, but it started right about the same time that he was put on Aricept and Namenda without my consent. They helped his short term memory for a while, but it also made him very volatile, anxious, and he did cry a lot. Then I could not get the drs. to take him off of it, trying to explain how it was doing him more harm than good emotionally, and it became a battle that lasted the rest of his life (about 6 months). Be vigilant in trying to get your LO the best care, and that sometimes includes which meds appear to be doing more harm than good. Lynn

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:17 am

The Namenda was a blessing.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:49 pm

She took it again tonight and had an upset stomach once again. She hasnt thrown up yet and im thinking maybe its because she isnt eating much before she takes it. She has had hemorrhoids lately and she doesnt eat much because it hurts when she uses the bathroom. She was treated for Anal cancer several months ago and this is what is causing the hemorrhoids. She did have a couple of crying spells today one earlier in the day and we still dont know why and one just awhile ago about her hemorrhoids hurting when she went. Im going to talk to her DR about the aricept and see what he says. She did well on the 5mg didnt have any problems like we are having now but the dr told us that 5mg isnt the effective dose.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:34 pm

Has she had strokes? Stroke can often cause people to cry a lot too so you may want to ask about that. Sending you a big hug tonight. I know how hard it is to watch your LO going through this awful disease. Lynn

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:38 pm

Quote:
She did well on the 5mg didnt have any problems like we are having now but the dr told us that 5mg isnt the effective dose.
My husband did very well on the introductory dose of the Exelon patch, too, and got no better with the higher dose. Even so, the neurologist insisted that the lower dose was not therapeutic. :|

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:42 pm

No she has never had a stroke. I think I am going to call the Dr on monday and see what he thinks. Thanks everyone

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Good luck at the dr. appt. I hope you get some answers that are helpful for the situation. Hang in there, Lynn

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea & weight loss are the top side effects of Aricept. ;)

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:17 am

Yes I know they are side effects of Aricept but the reason I was asking this is because she did well on the 5mg never got any upset stomach or anything as far as i know. She took the 10mg and within an hour she had an upset stomach i just didnt know if it would happen that quickly after taking the first dose.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:43 am

Dear WS123, Yes, we all understood what your concerns were/are. The original question was never really answered but it was a great question because of the conversation which followed. That is the way our knowledge of LBD has grown on this forum. I look on this forum not just as a social forum even though it has helped calm many of us during the hard times, I see us as researchers. It goes on and on. Not in the Laboratory, but in the surroundings of our loved ones where others do not have access.

Through the years, I sometimes felt as if I were not on the level of some of the more learned who post here. And I'm not, however, I do know that I have contributed just by letting others know where I have been and what happened. If we do not speak up the give and take shuts down. We are much more than a "yes" or "no" group, we are all dealing with an illness that has been difficult to have recognized. We must continue to search amongst our group to make sure the world knows Lewy Body exists. We are not "just another dementia " group, we are searching for complicated answers. The more subjects we discuss, letting one worry lead into another, the more everyone will know.

Yes, let us know what your doctor thinks about the side effects already known. But just maybe he/she will be open to the fact that it caused the crying also. Just by your question alone we seem to have uncovered three members whose loved one has wept when taking Aricept. Coincidence?? Maybe not.

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Well said, Dorothea. It is a community of people doing the best we can and trying to share our observations to help all of our loved ones AND to educate the medical folks who have limited or no knowledge about this widespread disease. All the best to all of you CGs out there, and to your LOs suffering from this. Maybe some day there will be a way to prevent this, or at least treat the symptoms better. Lynn

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:15 pm

It is a very helpful group where we can put things out there and others that have been through the same thing can respond with their experiences. I am very new to this and I know I have a lot to learn about this disease and with the help of everyone here it will help me to understand things that are going on better. Thank you all

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next