View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 No problems falling asleep but won't stay asleep 

Post No problems falling asleep but won't stay asleep
My father was diagnosed with LBD early this year but the family is sure he has had it for a while. For the past few months night sleep has become increasingly shortened. He has no problem falling asleep but will wake around 3-4 AM and will not/cannot fall back to sleep for several hours and then for not long. He is agitated and not sure if he is hallucinating or just having difficulty voicing his concerns. My mother has tried to calm him, tried moving to a separate room to get some sleep herself but he will not allow her to be away from him. We attend a support group and gather information from this site but still unsure what or if medication will help. My mother will not be any good for my father if she can't get a decent night sleep. I am sure others have the same issue..what has worked for you

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Post Re: No problems falling asleep but won't stay asleep
We have had very similar sleep issues with my Mother. She was recently started on Seroquel and Depakote with great benefit. Fingers crossed for a sustained effect.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:17 pm

My mom was also helped by seroquel. We suspect that the sleep disturbance had to do with disturbing dreams, as she would sometimes recount them or seem confused when she woke up.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:05 am

My husband also has been having this problem for awhile now. He is in early stages and has no serious problems at this time. He does take OTC sleep aids which don't help all that much. So far I have not seen any negative effects from taking them tho' it does worry me. It seems like oft times, he wakes up after having an active dream. He does take naps during the day, but still complains of not sleeping well enough; but I think his idea of how much sleep he is distorted--he says he wasn't asleep even tho' he was snoring.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:33 am

My husband also has sleeping problems. At first they attributed it to PTSD, and although it certainly contributes to it, we now know it is LBD as well. A double whammy. We have tried several sleep aides and anti-depression, anti-anxiety meds and seem to have the right combo for the time being. The vivid dreams and seeing/hearing things is just a part of it, so we just have to deal with it, I guess. Seems like the medication is an ongoing juggling act!
The only problem is that I don't get a good night's sleep either. I moved to the bedroom next door, but still am operating like a mother of an infant...one eye and one ear open!

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:11 pm

My mom also had the sleep problem. She would often sleep in the day and be up all night when she would wander and do what she would normally do in the day. My father lost sleep for many years. We finally got some live-in help and that saved everyone! I think my mom just needed to run on her own time clock and my Dad really had to find a way to get his sleep.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]