View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Librium (Chlordiazepoxide) 

Post Librium (Chlordiazepoxide)
Does anyone have any experience of the use of Librium in LBD patients? My mother was prescribed Lorazepam but it made her more anxious (and very unsteady) when the effects were wearing off, and her Consultant has now prescribed Librium. Although I keep pushing and pushing him, he is determined not to give her Seroquel, which I am sure from information on this site would be the best treatment for her.
Thanks (from England)

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:08 am

Post Re: Librium (Chlordiazepoxide)
In the US, benzodiazepines are not usually prescribed for LBD. But, as we all, know, YMMV!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Post Re: Librium (Chlordiazepoxide)
Thankyou for your reply.
Although I expressed my concern regarding Benzodiazapines, I was asked to try her on the low dose of Librium. On the third day she was alternately completely manic and eerily quiet - and then went to sleep - for 30 HOURS!!! I struggled to rouse her for sips of water and was VERY worried. When I finally managed to wake her enough to give her some soup she complained that she was tired and neede to sleep!!! Needless to say I stopped the librium and told her consultant. His reply was that he had never known that to happen before and since he had no better ideas we better try Seroquel (which I had been asking for). She is at present on 25mg night and morning and her sleeping patterns have improved no end - but during the day she is still constantly calling my name - even if I am in the room with her!! I don't want to 'sedate' her but need to calm her, and am waiting for the consultant to give me some advice on this.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]