View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Stooped Posture and Drooping Head 

Post Stooped Posture and Drooping Head
Is the stooped posture and drooping head one of the symptoms of LBD? My Dad was diagnosed with dementia almost 4 years ago, about a year and a half after having stent placement surgery. Some months following his surgery we noticed that he was developing a "scrunched up" posture. We thought at first that he was worried about the stent that was placed in one of the blood vessels to his heart and was trying to "protect it". He was hunching his shoulders and slowly seemed to be closing in onto himself. Currently he is always stooped starting with his upper back. His shoulders remain rounded and hunched, his head hangs forward so that you can't even look him in the eye most of the time. It isn't so bad when he sits down. When he becomes extremely anxious and begins wandering around the house his posture becomes more and more stooped, until his body almost seems to be at a right angle. My Mom says that sometimes she's certain his hands will touch the ground! Have others recognized this trait? Any suggestions to help him with it?

Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Post Re: Stooped Posture and Drooping Head
A physical therapist once said that my husbands drooling was so pronounced because head was always slumped forward. He still slumps forward, especially when tired although for several years he tended to lean to the left. A new, specially designed wheelchair helped to correct this.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:41 am

My wife leans to the left a lot. I have a terrible time getting her to sit on the commode. Any suggestions?

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31 am

Do you have one of those nice commode additions with handrails and slightly raised seat? They make it easier for older frail people to sit and get up, and she'd be less likely to fall over sideways.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:49 am

Ted had the worst stoop to the left for quite awhile. Yes, it would be worse depending on the severity of his LBD symptoms (if he was especially tired, had not taken his meds on time). Many days would be so bad, my 6 foot 2 husband was shorter than me (I'm 5'2'). Of course, this made the drooling more of an issue. I resorted to pillows of different sizes to try to help. One of the problems with the stoop is that some chair arms would hit his ribs pretty tough. My girlfriend made a special little pillow that we took on trips and helped soften that area. Also, massages would help. I would gently massage his back--get him to lie as straight as he could, and, while he was laying on his back, I'd massage arms, legs & roll him side to side. He never really lost it, but we could notice on good days we could see his face and eyes. On very bad days, I would have to kneel down to be able to look at his dear face. He developed quite an interesting gait (already bad enough with the LB) that scared many a nurse who couldn't believe he wasn't about to fall over. But, keeping him safe as we could, with interventions (you should've seen how many times I literally carried him to the closest chair or couch!) was all we could do. When he finally could not use the walker/rollator any more, we were able to get a wheelchair that could lean back some to help counteract that forward-sideways lean to a degree. Mostly, I guess the best thing to do is to do the massages & get them as much rest as you can. Oh, and IF they can (Mayo did this a couple of times), we got botox injections for the drooling. This helped some and made Ted feel less self-conscious about that part (they warn also that it takes some time to take effect or it may not even work at all - we were lucky that it helped some). Also, we placed workout wristbands on both wrists so he could have something close to wipe his mouth. hope this helps.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:41 pm

My mom has developed a constant head droop in the last 3 weeks and her back is getting an increased forward curl. Her head is so far down she cannot see forward. : ( Her primary and neurologist say the LBD is probably the cause. But she is on Seroquel, and her neurologist says that Seroquel can also cause these symptoms as a form of dystonia. So we will stop seroquel to see if that may help.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]