View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Physical therapy or not? 

Post Physical therapy or not?
Hello, my name is Susy and I'm 62. This is my first post although I've been reading (and learning!) for a few weeks now. My husband Dale is 67 and has LBD. He first started showing signs in 2004 (severe RBD and increasing cognition issues) but was not diagnosed until last year. He has every single symptom except hallucinations (and he may well have those but since he's not a great talker he may have just not told me). He was forced to retire early at 64 because of his condition and therefore money is quite tight. Thank heavens Medicare has now kicked in.

Dale has always been very thin, very strong, and quite fit. But in the last year he's had a hip replacement and a stent, so you can imagine how those things have accelerated his decline. He's still doing quite well, considering.

We walk a LOT - every day. It has been gradual, but now he walks with his arms bent and held close to his sides. His walk is classic - he leans slightly forward with bent shoulders and shuffles slightly. He cannot swing his arms naturally and has trouble straightening them at all. When I suggest some stretching exercises or raising his arms to the ceiling, he has pain in one shoulder. Will physical therapy benefit him at all? Is it covered by Medicare? Or are there exercises we can do together to help with his stiffness, something I can Google? I'd appreciate any and all help.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:57 am

Post Re: Physical therapy or not?
Hello Susy and welcome to the forum. I'm very sorry to hear about your husband. I'm glad you decided to join in the conversation here on the forum. I know others with more experience with the physical therapy will give you some good feedback. My mother never wanted to do any special exercise. She would walk - really well one day and then she wouldn't be able to walk at all for a week. I think any exercise at all, in whatever form, is always good for the body and brain.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:29 pm

My husband has had physical therapy off and on and now gets restorative therapy. The issue with physical therapy, at least from a Medicare standpoint, is that there needs to be documented progress. My husband would never remember the PT instructions from one session to the next and would have to start from scratch. There was no progress. Restorative therapy keeps joints limber and prevents contractions. If they are able to stand, weight bearing exercises help to keep muscles toned. It probably depends entirely on the stage of the disease which therapy would be used.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Thank you mockturtle and gailabbi for responding. I think restorative therapy is what I need then. I'll have to look into it. I'm really just looking to keep him somewhat limber, I know he probably won't improve any but I'd like to delay the stiffening as much as I can. I don't know if that's unrealistic or not. This is all pretty new to me. But it seems like he's gotten much worse much more quickly lately. Physically that is. Mentally he's been remarkably sharp - except for the times he's remarkably not! He's very easygoing and amenable, and I know he wants to keep as fit as he can, so we'll work together on this.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Since you are there with him and can help him or remind him to exercise, I'd recommend the type of therapy Pat is suggesting. At least at this point it seems like it could be of benefit to him if he is continuing to do the exercises when he's not with the therapist. Lynn

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]