View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Treatment for head drooping 

Post Treatment for head drooping
My mom now has constant head drooping. Her head used to hang down once in a while just a few weeks ago, but it is now hanging down constantly. It is painful for her to straighten her head. I suspect this is a Parkinson's like symptom that is not uncommon for LBD patients, correct? What treatments have people found most effective? We have visited her primary physician and they recommend phys thpy, neck pads and ben-gay. But these are not much help. What have others found effective? I should say that she also has COPD, which means she prefers to sit and sleep only modestly reclined. She does not want to lay down flat.
Thank you for your advice!

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:54 am

Post Re: Treatment for head drooping
Sadly there is no real treatment for this . It is trial and error, I think the PT is the best out of everything and really that will only help with relaxing the area in the neck that causes this but when she is resting and slightly reclined the pillow idea seems best, I have a lung disorder and also can't lay flat for extended periods of time , I do really feel for your mom ! This is just one of thoses illnesses you have to try many things before you hit what really works for that person!

Good Luck !

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:30 pm
Profile WWW

It sounds like you've gotten ideas that are things that PTs typically recommend for stiff/sore muscles - alternating ice/hot packs, stretching exercises, massage. Depending on the mental functioning of your LO, PT may or may not work. For my dad it was a waste of money and time - he couldn't or wouldn't do the exercises on his own, got mad at the PTs so several quit, and all the PT in the world didn't make him want to get out of his wheelchair even though he could have been mobile longer. He gave up, and just decided it was easier to be in his wheelchair than make the effort to walk with his walker. Wasting his insurance money on something that wasn't working didn't make sense so we stopped it after a while, and after about 3 PTs refused to work with him. If your LO is higher functioning and will actually do the exercises on her own outside PT, you may want to try it for a while. Good luck, let us know what works in your situation, Lynn

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Hello Irene,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. I try to confirm that I am providing the best care for mom, particularly when things do not seem effective. So I very much appreciate your response as it helps me to ensure that I have not overlooked something.
Best regards,
Bernie

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Hello LTCVT,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply as well! Your reply makes sense and I am sorry to hear that PT did not work for you. But thank you for explaining this as it is important to me to hear how PT went for others. To be candid, I am not sure if my mom will cooperate with PT or not. It may not work well either. Her functioning varies quite a bit from day to day. She has accepted some sessions and rejected others. But we will at least give it our best try. I appreciate your time and reply on this!

Bernie

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:01 pm

At first PT was working for my dad because he was able to see cause and effect - if he practiced his exercises at home, he was more mobile and in less pain. But as his health deteriorated and his brain was not functioning well, he didn't want to cooperate when the PT was there, much less do anything on his own. I don't think he could even remember that he was supposed to exercise, and then getting angry at the PTs so they quit made it clear that it was a big waste of money. But he went for about a year and did quite well. It is going to depend on the timing, your LOs ability to understand, coperate, practice, etc. It's always worth a few tries, then if it's not working you can stop. Best, Lynn

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]